7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2010 6:56 PM by cpyou

Software Not Activating

Last Saturday, I went to bed and everything was running smoothly on my computer right as I shut it down. The computer shut down properly, no problems there. Sunday morning, I booted up my computer (Windows 7 32-bit home edition) normally, and after about five minutes, I received an error from McAfee saying "Your computer is at risk. Your software is Deactivated." I am given two options: Buy [new subscription] or Reactivate [with existing subscription]. When I click "Reactivate" I am prompted to log on to my account. I log in, but then receive an error saying the page that I requested cannot be found (which actually leads me to believe that the problem could be on McAfee's end). Here is my long (and still continuing) support process:

- Uninstall McAfee (using Programs and Features under control panel)

- Run the clean up tool (MCPR.exe)

- Download McAfee from my account (5 licenses in use, 1 available)

- Install McAfee

Lo and behold, I still receive the error. I contacted support who walked me through this process (multiple times) and have still had no success. I am awaiting a call back from Tier II Support (supposedly some time tomorrow), but I am getting highly frustrated, especially since I have had McAfee installed for over a year and renewed my subscription successfully. One thing to note, I did change my computer name about 26 days prior to this problem, but have since reinstalled McAfee AntiVirus Plus under a new computer name as instructed by support personell.

Unless you have some different idea, I will not reinstall McAfee from scratch again. I have done this five or six times (at least) and it has been unsuccessful each time. Also, I am currently running the Stinger Virus Scan provided free by McAfee to make sure nothing is interfering with the software, though I would find that strange since it went from working to not working (and so far not recoverable) literally overnight. I am being completely honest when I say that I listen to McAfee site advisor and don't visit sketchy websites, I do not illegally download software, videos, or music, and run regular virus scans. As a matter of fact, I ran a weekly full virus scan 36 hours before the problem began.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Also, reply if you have experienced this same or a highly similar problem. I'm very curious to know if this is an isolated incident or not.

Jason

System information:

- HP Pavilion Notebook (two years old, but hard drive is one year old)

- Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

- Intel Centrino Dual Core Processor (2.4 GHz)

- 3 GB of RAM

P.S. I'm not here to rip McAfee. I'm a loyal user who has been using McAfee products without any difficulties (that couldn't be solved in ten minutes or less) since 2003 and would like to continue using their products.

Message was edited by: soonertiger2012 on 6/28/10 7:56:54 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Software Not Activating

One more thing to note: under my account, I can see my computer name and even my IP address listed. It says that the license for that computer name and IP is active.

• 2. Re: Software Not Activating

(POSSIBLE) SOLUTION!

I have only had McAfee AntiVirus Plus "working" for about 45 minutes now (the longest streak since problems began) and have completed 32% of a full virus scan that I am running as a precaution. Anyway, here's what I did:

Uninstalled McAfee using Add/Remove Programs --> Reboot --> Run the McAfee clean up tool --> Reboot --> Reinstall McAfee from My Account --> Reboot --> Verify Subscription

When I clicked verify subscription the light turned green saying that my computer is secure. At that point, I rebooted my computer again, and so far for about 45 minutes now, everything appears to be working, though I'm probably going to jinx it with this post!

If I do not post any further, assume that the problem has been solved, but honestly, I'm not going to believe it until I have had ZERO problems for an entire week.

• 3. Re: Software Not Activating

Hi,

i am having a similar problem. I had virusScan 2009 installed. I purchased the 2010 version and did as the information in the folder said. I ran the installer and the old version was uninstalled and the new one installed. The only problem is that i cannot activate the new one.

I went through the process and entered the product key but to no avail.

I tried the McAfee telephone support option but i could not understand the person on the other end (foreign accent was too strong) and when i gave him my email address, he did not get it right so i didnt get a reply from him.

I am running xp.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Software Not Activating
                Dinz

Hi,

Please try this steps and let me know the outcome;

·         Run the MCPR tool from this link (this will remove all Mcafee products from your computer )

·         Restart the computer and reinstall the programs using the cd

·         You will prompted to enter inn your activation key

·         Follow the steps and the activation should get completed

Do let me know if you still have any issues.

Regards,
                Dinesh K
                McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 5. Re: Software Not Activating

is there a missing link for the MCPR tool?

thanks

• 6. Re: Software Not Activating
                    k3tg

Dinz must have forgotten to put the link in his reply to you. You can access the MCPR removal tool by going to the top of this page under Useful Links just make sure after using MCPR to reboot your computer.

• 7. Re: Software Not Activating

thats ok,

I found the software and it works quite well

i got it working. I used dial up instead of the wireless.

Thank you

Regards

Lewis