4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 5:52 AM by exbrit

Dat Files

Hello,

How can I update my Antivirus Plus Dat file manually?  The system it is on does not, and cannot have internet access.  Thanks.

BtB

• 1. Re: Dat Files

You can update manually by downloading the superdat file and running it on any computer with McAfee.  Just put it on any media that your noon-networked computer can access.

You can get to the link off the McAfee site.  The direct web link is

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/superdat.asp?region=us&seg ment=enterprise

You can use this method to speed up updatiing multiple computers if you connection is slow,

• 2. Re: Dat Files
            exbrit

michaelroder wrote:

You can update manually by downloading the superdat file and running it on any computer with McAfee.  Just put it on any media that your noon-networked computer can access.

You can get to the link off the McAfee site.  The direct web link is

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/superdat.asp?region=us&seg ment=enterprise

You can use this method to speed up updatiing multiple computers if you connection is slow,

Sorry to contradict but the home products haven't been able to use that method for several years, only the Enterprise (Business) products can use it.

VirusScan home edition has to have access to the internet to update either automatically or by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting "Check for Updates".

SecurityCenter itself checks every few hours for updates in general, not just VirusScan, so it needs internet access too.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/07/10 9:15:45 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: Dat Files

Sorry, but it appears that I lied.  The download ids from the commercial side and will not update the personal versions (cannot find a qualifying product).  It has worked in the past; I had not tried it for a few years.  It appears that McAfee got chintzy.

On this subject, the update over a dialup line fails when the upgrade is large--a not uncommon occurance in today's climate.

• 4. Re: Dat Files
                exbrit

Yes, as of a few years back the DAT's changed format between the commercial and domestic versions.  We are campaigning to make that once again possible.

We were told that if an update is interrupted it should continue from where it left off, if at the downloading stage.   Reports have been seen that isn't the case.  I would advise anyone with that problem to contact Technical Support Chat and escalate if necessary.  That will add fuel to the argument for donwloadable DAT's.