4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 12:28 PM by pldeneef

Installing McAfee Internet Security 2010 permanently shuts down computer, please help

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop and thought to do well and protect it with McAfee Internet Security 2010, but after installing the computer can no longer start-up. It prompts an error message and shuts down again. After much trial and error I managed to completely reinstall windows 7 and the computer finally worked again. Thinking it was an issue with the computer I also installed it (it contains 3 licenses) on another laptop, which subsequently shut down and refused to start up in normal windows (safe mode did work).

Is anybody familiar with this issue and do you now any other solutions than buying something that's not McAfee?

Hope you can help us.

Regards,

Patrick

• 1. Re: Installing McAfee Internet Security 2010 permanently shuts down computer, please help
          Dinz

Hi Patrick,

Please let me know the details of the laptop;

Manufacturer : Dell\toshiba\Acer
          Ram size :

Also let me know whether the computer is able to logon to the OS screen after install ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Installing McAfee Internet Security 2010 permanently shuts down computer, please help

Hi,

It is an Acer Aspire 5740G with 4GB Memory. On this computer after installing the computer restarts and then prompts an error message (in blue or black screen before windows is started) that windows cannot be started (no explanation). Then the windows 7 repair tool is started, it tries to solve the problem and prompts "this problem cannot be solved, please contact your manufacturer". On clicking ok it shuts down again and everything repeats. When not clicking ok, I can enter advanced options such as system recovery and re-installation of windows. I re-installed while preserving my own files, but that didn't help. Only a full re-installation of windows enabled me to get back to work again. On the other PC which is a mini laptop (Samsung) I was able to use system recovery to remove McAfee from the computer. Also, on my Acer the pre-installed McAfee Security Centre (60 day trial) does not cause any problems.

Thanks for helping me.

Patrick

• 3. Re: Installing McAfee Internet Security 2010 permanently shuts down computer, please help
              Dinz

Hello Patrick ,

McAfee experienced  similar issue  on Dell mini laptops, but this is a new issue reported in Acer, I would like to get to the bottom of this one . Could you please comfirm that the computer ;

·         Was not infected by any malware previously

·         Is uptodate with regards to BIOS and windows updates

·         Has not suffered any hardware/software failures.

Please get back with the above information , so that we could get this resolved for you Patrick

Thanks,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Installing McAfee Internet Security 2010 permanently shuts down computer, please help

Hi,

It is a brand new laptop (the acer) and has not experienced any other problems. All windows updates were correctly installed and currently it is running fine, but with the 60 day trial version for McAfee. Please note that the same problem occured in a (windows XP run) samsung mini laptop. There also all updates were processed and all was working fine. Since the laptop was only used for accessing mail and "light" surfing, I am pretty sure no malware could have gotten on before I tried installing McAfee.

Thanks again,

Patrick