6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 6:56 AM by peter_eepc

There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

Hi!

I can't access my encrypted Windows drive. I enter my Endpoint Encryption password and then... nothing happens! :-(

I have read that I can use SafeTech to try to solve the issue, but when I go to "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC" there's no SafeTech anywhere! (this is a companyinstallation, maybe the IT guys thought I shouldn't be running it, but their only solution to the problem is: format and reinstall! )

Is there any other way to get a SafeTech boot disk?

Thanx!

• 1. Re: There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

I've been reading that I might need to boot from a BartPE or UBCD4Win ISO with the right plugin. I just can't find the proper way to install this plugin to my BartPE or UBCD4Win! Any ideas or good links?

• 2. Re: There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

SafeTech disk is created from Endpoint Encryption Manager application. Do you have access to that?

EEPC was designed to be managed by authorized personnel, you do not seem to have sufficient rights to perform many repair fuctions. Please explain need for proper assistance to your business management, I'm sure they will work with your company IT to remediate this problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

Nope. No help there. The IT department already said that they can't do anything. They asked me to format and reinstall. This is a big shame since I'm pretty sure all my data is there and I should be able to recover it somehow!

What would I normally need?

1) Safetech disk created from EEM

2) Reboot from disk

3) My user/passwd

Anything else? I'm going to try to put some pressure on the IT crowd.

• 4. Re: There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

Yes, keep pressing them. There are other needed components that might be needed and you will not (should not get) easily.

In particular:

- McAfee Daily Code to run SafeTech / WinTech utilities

- Your machine export SDB file for database driven recovery

On top of those, you need some experise in the product to recover data safely. I suggest to convince your business and IT to provide proper assistance to your system. Great majority of data recovery cases are resolved once proper procedures are followed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

Thank you very much for your help, Peter! :-)

Unfortunately,  I have contacted my company's IT again and according to their  representative: The company's policy is to reimage any PC with this kind  of problem and not to try to recover the data. They don't even seem to  have the grant number or anything like that! :-(

Oh  well... time to format and reinstall.. :-(

• 6. Re: There's no SafeTech boot disk creation executable

That is very irresponsible of them. Next time make sure that you have appropriate external backup of your important data. That's all you can do, if company business and IT do not want to help.