2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 9:50 PM by forum

Why does McAfee Icon disappear when scheduled scan starts?  Why no scan (or update) icon

forum

Since the new revamped total protection was updated by Mc Afee on my machine in April 2010, I am having a strange happening whenever the scheuled scan is about to take place.  In the old 2010 package, when the scheuled scan started the icon indicated this, ditto for updates.  In the new one I have no indication that a scan is taking place.  I check in the security report and it tells me a scan took place last week and the next one is scheduled for the coming week but nothing for the current week.  Then the tray icon is duplicated, then it disappears.  When I check again at times I see nothing occuring, at other times I see that the scheduled scan has started in the report but no icon or indication that this has occured until I close the report.  If I never open McAfee and close it seems like the scan icon in the tray does not come on.

System is XP Professional SP3

Also, what happened to the update icon that tells me an update is occuring?

Background stuff is nice but there needs to be some indication of what is happening on one's machine.  Is there some option I need to turn on to be alerted by Mc Afee icons in my tray?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Why does McAfee Icon disappear when scheduled scan starts?  Why no scan (or update) icon
          Dinz

Hi,

Check if the system date and time displays the correct one according to your time zone

Click start – run – type services.msc and click ok
          Look for a process that says terminal services>
          Right click on it and select properties
          Change the start up type to Automatic
          Click on Recovery tab (at the top) and select all three failures to Restart the services
          Close all the windows and restart the computer.

Check and let me know the status of the scan indication

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Why does McAfee Icon disappear when scheduled scan starts?  Why no scan (or update) icon
            forum

Thank you for responding.  Yes, system date and time are correct.  It is not clear why I would want to put terminal services on automatic.  I checked on what it is and from what I read, found that changing permissions to automatic would allow any remote users who can access it, to be able to work on my machine which does not sound too good.  Remote desktop administration of my system would be allowed.  Am I misunderstanding something?  Why would the changed 2010 Total Protection (cf the one I bought last fall) require this to work properly?  Seems a step in the opposite direction to security?  Thanks.