1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 10:57 AM by Dinz

lsass.exe

On Tuesday, I chatted with several McAfee technicians about an issue.  After several hours, several wipes and reloads, we thought we had solve the problem, but after a reboot, had not.

I am running VirusScan Plus over Vista.

Security Center loads on boot up and runs properly in the background; however, whenever I attempted to manually open a window, it would immediately minimize to the toolbar.  Any McAfee-related window for any process would immediately minimize.

I suspected an incompatibility with another virus scan program.  That was not the problem.  The offending prcess is lsass.exe, which is a Windows process.  There is a worm with the same name, but I am not infected.

If I kill the lsass.exe process, McAfee windows behave normally.

I now suspect a bad combination of programs or maybe the load order.  In any event, the work around satisfies me as I do not need the lsass.exe process--it is a system account manager and I only have one account on this machine.

If I gleen any further information, I will pass it on.

• 1. Re: lsass.exe
          Dinz

Hi Defrick,

"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. The lsass.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, lsass.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Have we tried running the Stinger scan to check for any suspicious behaviour in the system. ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator