6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 10:44 AM by Dinz

McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?

Today I bought McAfee Internet Security 2010 due to one of my computers recently getting a virus. I have had McAfee before but never ended up updating it. It installed just fine untill I wanted to activate it. When I click the activate button a window pops up saying Internet Connection required and also says it will automatically start when it finds a connection. I am connected to the internet and I decided to let it sit there for a while. I came back 2 hours later and the window is still up. I do not understand what the problem is and I can't find anyone who knows what to do. Please help!

• 1. Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?
          CopyRon

Have you tried restarting your computer?

It is possiible the virus is preventing your virus scan from running.

• 2. Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?
            Dinz

Hello,

May I know what is the operating system that we use in the computer ?
            Also let me know how is the computer connected to internet (dsl/cable/dial up)
            Did we use any other security software in the computer ?

Regards,
            Dinesh K
            McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 3. Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?

O.K. I bought this computer a year ago and it had the trial McAfee Antivirus on it. I bought the McAfee Total Protection 2009(CD from Walmart) and installed it then. The 2009 version expired a couple of days ago and I bought and installed the 2010 version(CD from Walmart) the day after the 2009 version expired. It seems to function(scan,update) O.K. other than it will not activate. Keep in mind that I just let the 2010 version uninstall my old (2009) version. I had no idea that there was software avaible at McAfee to uninstall it .......... . I recorded what it is doing and here is the link to view it... http://tinypic.com/r/9vhbuc/6

Here is my system info

system.JPG

I hope this helps....Thank You both for replying.

Note: This computer originally came with Vista, I upgraded to 7 about 6 months ago and reinstalled the 2009 version through my account with no problems.

Also using Broadband Connection......

Message was edited by: walterpeanut on 6/24/10 7:52:27 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?

I got the same 'failure to activate' on three separate pc's each with different operating systems.

The 3-user license won't activate on any of them, even tried different locations and re-installing but to no avail.

Been using their products for years and never had any problems til now.

Come on McAfee, whats going on with the activation, there appears to be several posts all about the same issue so its not an isolated problem?

• 5. Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?
                  Drea

I have the same problem too! I purchased Internet Secuity 2010 after my previous McAfee virus protection expired. The installation went fine but when I try to activate, I keep getting an error message.

I tried to reinstall, but the same thing happens.

Please help!

Drea

• 6. Re: McAfee Internet Security 2010 won't activate?
                    Dinz

Hi All,
                    Please follow the steps below and try activating the products;

Run the mcafee preinstal tool from this link Here

Win Vista or 7

1.Click the Windows Button and type cmd.exe into the search bar.
                    2.Right-click cmd.exe in the search list, and select Run as Administrator.
                    3.Type the following text, then press ENTER:

c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcoemmgr.exe /regserver

4.Right-click the M icon in your taskbar and select either Activate, Activate Now, Register, or Register Now.
                    5.Follow the instructions.

Windows XP
                         1.Double-click My Computer.
                         2.Double-click the C: drive.
                        3.Right-click the Sysprep folder, and select Rename.
                        4.Rename the Sysprep folder to OLDsysprep.
                        5.Close Windows Explorer.
                        6.Right-click the M icon in your taskbar and select either Activate, Activate Now, Register or Register Now.
                        7.Follow the instructions.

Regards,
                    Dinesh K
                    McAfee Online Community Moderator