3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 2:35 PM by rmetzger

Vista says Malware "Not Compatible"

This is not the first time I have had this problem or seen this, but it finally bothered me enough to ask the question about it!

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and in Windows Security Center, under the header of Malware protection, it says I must Check settings. Under Virus protection, it explains:

"McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating faeture, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

When I click on "Show me my available options", it says I can either find a new malware protection program (which I don't want to do), Monitor the malware program myself, or Don't monitor malware programs at all. None of these options I want. Is there any way to fix this problem? Or is there an update I am missing??

To note is that I have VirusScan Enterprise version 8.5.0i and I have recently updated it (and do all he time!).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Vista says Malware "Not Compatible"
          rmetzger

wolfavi wrote:

This is not the first time I have had this problem or seen this, but it finally bothered me enough to ask the question about it!

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and in Windows Security Center, under the header of Malware protection, it says I must Check settings. Under Virus protection, it explains:

"McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating faeture, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

When I click on "Show me my available options", it says I can either find a new malware protection program (which I don't want to do), Monitor the malware program myself, or Don't monitor malware programs at all. None of these options I want. Is there any way to fix this problem? Or is there an update I am missing??

To note is that I have VirusScan Enterprise version 8.5.0i and I have recently updated it (and do all he time!).

Thanks!

Hi wolfavi,

OK, this is caused by an update from Microsoft which changed the way Windows Security Center operates. Microsoft changed the format and caused problems for many vendors, including McAfee. McAfee has addressed the issue by releasing patches to VSE v8.7i. Patch 2 includes the fix. Patch 3 is the recommended fix.

From the Patch 3 documentation:

2. VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 2 and later now has the ability to report compliance to the newer versions of Windows Security Center.

I would suggest upgrading to VSE v8.7i Patch 3. I believe this will solve the problems you mention.

Hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Vista says Malware "Not Compatible"

Thanks, rmetzger!

Would upgrading from 8.5i to 8.7i require payment? Or is this a free upgrade I can get online somewhere?

Where would I find this upgrade? Do you by chance have a link to the McAfee website where I can do this? I searched it online and the best I came up with was http://www.filecrop.com/vse8.7i.html which does not look like a website I want to be downloading anything from (and seems illegal too)...

• 3. Re: Vista says Malware "Not Compatible"
              rmetzger

wolfavi wrote:

Thanks, rmetzger!

Would upgrading from 8.5i to 8.7i require payment? Or is this a free upgrade I can get online somewhere?

Where would I find this upgrade? Do you by chance have a link to the McAfee website where I can do this? I searched it online and the best I came up with was http://www.filecrop.com/vse8.7i.html which does not look like a website I want to be downloading anything from (and seems illegal too)...

With a Grant Number, you can download the latest version of VirusScan Enterprise from here (in the US anyway):

https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp?region=us&segment=me dium

The download is free (and legal) with a valid grant number.

See your Service Account Rep or your Network/Security Administrator for your Grant Number.

Downloading VSE from anywhere else but from McAfee is Risky at best; certainly not legal (unless provided under a licensed agreement, such as a school), and possibly infected -- so, I would avoid other sites.

Ron Metzger