1 2 3 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 11:40 AM by SafeBoot

Moving from one server to another

At the moment a company is in charge of encyption across several domains

McAfee endpoint encrypion

I'm looking to build a server and transfer the machines/users from the one stated above, to mine

Any one know any good ways of going about this?

thanks

• 1. Re: Moving from one server to another

sorry

not all the machines/users

ones from a specfic domain

• 2. Re: Moving from one server to another

Copy their database (keep a copy as backup) and purge what you don't need.

But before you do that, make proper assesment of user and machine groups.

First learn how they were created in original database and if connectors were used to populate user groups.

• 3. Re: Moving from one server to another

are you moving machines between AD domains? If so, does not matter, EEPC pays no attention to domain/machine relationships

OR

are you moving them between EEM environments? If so, this is pretty much unsupported, and mostly impossible without a lot of manual effort or scripting.

• 4. Re: Moving from one server to another

moving users from a server supported by an outside company

to a newly created server in house

could an 'executable' redirect machine to a new server keeping the laptop encrypted?

and placed its key/name etc onto the new server?

the company are not willing to provide us access to this server as they have other businesses on it

• 5. Re: Moving from one server to another

Sorry no. It's impossible to move users between EEM servers unless they were fragments of each other to start with. Absolutly impossible.

The only thing that could be done is if the company make a copy of their existing db, delete everything out of it that does not belong to you, then hand that over. Then you could connect the existing machines to that duplicate and use it in house.

• 6. Re: Moving from one server to another

joseph.gray wrote:

moving users from a server supported by an outside company

to a newly created server in house

could an 'executable' redirect machine to a new server keeping the laptop encrypted?

and placed its key/name etc onto the new server?

the company are not willing to provide us access to this server as they have other businesses on it

It looks like a company split situation. If you have two separate parties managing two separate databases, they both should not have the same database ID. This is for security reasons too.

That type of action might bring licensing issue. I suggest that whole plan is discussed with McAfee account manager.

• 7. Re: Moving from one server to another

Was hoping to copy the database to a new server and break the line with the old

what license issues will I run into?

• 8. Re: Moving from one server to another

does anyone has a process of moving machines and users to a new server so my company has control of our data?

instead of the third party?

is it possible to create a server in their environment with our data

then transfer this server to my company?

• 9. Re: Moving from one server to another

first, you'll need to satisfy the legal issue of splitting the db - the original contract would have been N licences for 1 database, now you want to spit that into two dbs, so you'll need to talk to your McAfee account manager re getting a tech support contract sorted out etc.

You can't create a new server at all and migrate users - that's not possible, as I said above, the ONLY solution is to duplicate the existing server, and delete out all the stuff that won't belong to you after the move. It's impossible to move users between unrelated databases.

1 2 3 Previous Next