1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 11:32 AM by Mindcrime

MID VSE 8.7 package fails to install to Windows 7 machines - OS platform not supported?

I am building out a new ePO environment that we will be migrating our clients to. I currently have a fresh and pristine install of ePO 4.5 P2, and I used Installation Designer to make a package for the VSE 8.7P3 package that checked in perfectly and installed perfectly on a few test systems. The problem I'm having is when the VSE installation task kicks off on this Windows 7 64bit machine, I get the following error in the agent monitor:

Agent Subsystem    6/16/2010    4:38:07 PM    Info    Agent is looking for events to upload   
      Scheduler    6/16/2010    4:33:12 PM    Info    Scheduler: Task [VSE 8.7 P3 Install] is finished   
      Scheduler    6/16/2010    4:33:12 PM    Info    The task VSE 8.7 P3 Install is successful   
      Updater    6/16/2010    4:33:12 PM    Info    Update Finished   
      Updater    6/16/2010    4:33:12 PM    Info    VIRUSCAN8700 is not supported on this platform (WNT7W:6:1:0).

I logged a ticket with support to try and figure out what is going on here. I know VSE 8.7 P3 works on Windows 7 64bit machines because the documentation says it does, and I run it at home with no problem. I've tried deleting the client tasks and re-creating them, I verified all of the extensions for the product with the support rep - everything looks good. But like I said, it just isn't working.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Every other product that has a client task pushing software to this machine works like a champ.

Update: KB article on this issue has been created: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69397

Message was edited by: Mindcrime - changed thread title to be more accurate. on 7/8/10 9:39:55 AM GMT-06:00

Message was edited by: Mindcrime on 7/8/10 9:41:30 AM GMT-06:00
        • 1. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!

Small update here: I took the unzipped files that were generated from the Installation Designer package that I created and copied them locally to the machine. I double clicked on SetupVSE.exe, nothing happened. I opened up task manager and I see mcscript_inuse going bonkers, so I pull up the agent monitor and low and behold, it's updating the DATs and installing perfectly.

So now the question is, why is this happening on this machine and saying that it's not supported on this OS platform, but the same client task works perfectly on other non-Windows 7 64bit systems. Also, interestingly enough, when the client task re-processes either by force, or at the policy interval (we re-run our client tasks at every policy interval - which is 60 minutes), I get the same message about it not being supported on this OS platform.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!

jmcleish wrote:

What agent version are you using and what extension versions are installed for that agent and virusscan 8.7?

see these articles:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67314&pmv=print&viewloca le=en_US

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67594&pmv=print&viewloca le=en_US

Cheers

Jane

Apparently their site is down for maintenance, so I can't see these KB articles, but to answer your question - we're using:

ePO Agent 4.5 SP1 (1499) - extension is 4.5.0.71

VSE 8.7 SP3 created with MID - extension 8.7.0.185 and report extension 1.1.0.149

• 4. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!
              jmcleish

Can you open up your DB at all and have  a look at the task settings and platforms supported?

Open SQL Management Studio

expand the ePO DB,

scroll to the dbo.epotask table and right click open table.

Then scroll down the task name column until you find your deployment task for 8.7 and see what it says in the platforms supported column.

At the end of the list does it have in WNT7W ?

• 5. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!

Yeah, everything looks good - except I have two entries for all of these tasks, which seems strange. Here's the screen:

epodb.JPG

Message was edited by: Mindcrime on 6/24/10 7:54:40 AM GMT-06:00
                • 6. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!
                  jmcleish

I've moved your post to the ePO section as I think its more ePO related.

mmmm.

Do you have another task created  at the  machine level at all with the same name?

Although I'm not sure that would cause a problem (although I'm not entirely sure.)

Just to check- do you definately have that agent extension version installed?

IN your deployment task- is it set to deploy to all and to windows machines as the target?

Also, can you tell me what was changed in installation designer- why you checked that in instead of the default package?

I'm not running the same patch level or components, so can't replicate your problem. To support Win7, I had to upgrade my extensions, but since yours was a fresh install I'm not sure whats going on.I would assume that the versions are of the appropriate level.

Maybe one of the product experts (like Joe) could comment on this.

Jane

• 7. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!

jmcleish wrote:

I've moved your post to the ePO section as I think its more ePO related.

mmmm.

Do you have another task created  at the  machine level at all with the same name?

Although I'm not sure that would cause a problem (although I'm not entirely sure.)

Just to check- do you definately have that agent extension version installed?

IN your deployment task- is it set to deploy to all and to windows machines as the target?

Also, can you tell me what was changed in installation designer- why you checked that in instead of the default package?

I'm not running the same patch level or components, so can't replicate your problem. To support Win7, I had to upgrade my extensions, but since yours was a fresh install I'm not sure whats going on.I would assume that the versions are of the appropriate level.

Maybe one of the product experts (like Joe) could comment on this.

Jane

This is a fresh install of ePO that we're going to be migrating clients over to, so currently I only have these tasks defined at one sub-section of our system tree. Nothing it set at the organization level and filtering down, and the machine itself is inheriting the tasks I created at the group level.

The extension versions are accurate, I copied and pasted them from the console in my original reply to you.

We use installation designer because we don't use certain pieces of the package - Lotus Notes, Outlook scanning, etc.

I'm at a total loss here, and I'm waiting for tier 2 to come back with some feedback. We even tried deleting every task I had setup in ePO and re-creating them with different names just to try and make sure it wasn't an issue with that - it didn't help. The client task is set to deploy to all Windows machines, and to re-run at every policy interval.

• 8. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!
                      jmcleish

Not unless there is a problem with patch 2 for ePO. Patch 2 was removed from the portal for a non-english language issue (if i remember correctly) but may have other issues.

on another note- we don't use Lotus or outlook scanning either-  but I just don't enable the outlook scanning via policies rather than having to edit the package.

• 9. Re: VSE 8.7 P3 install to Win7 64bit - OS platform not supported!?!

Small update: the installation on Windows 7 32bit failed as well. I'm starting to think this is a MID issue, but the thought of rolling out the plain Jane VSE package without all of the worthless crap ripped out makes my skin crawl. Is there no way to not install certain components without using MID?

1 2 3 Previous Next