5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 11:55 AM by RAB73

can anyone help me retrieve my  AWOL Mc Afee Security Center?

Hiya, guys:

I have had Mc Afee Security Center [windows]  installed into my DELL computer for almost three years [the current protection is paid up for another 3 months]. It's worked brilliantly up until this week, but recently something seems very amiss,  and a check through the virtual technician has helped, although it states it has fixed some---but not all---of the problems.

There seems to be no curren Mc Afee protection against viruses.Trojans, etc, and the computer is behaving erattically, somertimes shutting down, with pop-ups alerting me to Danger appearing with alarming frequency.

There was, until 3 or 4 days ago, a square, red Mc Afee symbol along the bottom of the screen alongside other icons, but this has gone: this was handy for 'quick fixes' etc, and for checking status of Security Center. In the past, a system restore was enough to solve this quickly, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

I also tried asking questions on this directly on McAfees' online help service , but it won't accept my UK phone number during the registration process.

If any of you kind people on here can help, I will forever be in your gratitude.

kind regards; hope someone can help.

cheers, RAB SMITH.

• 1. Re: can anyone help me retrieve my  AWOL Mc Afee Security Center?
          Peter M

Hello again...met you on the beta site...

Moved from Live Support to SecurityCenter 9.

That should be easy.....some advice first though, if you are using Registry Cleaners and/or Optimizers, don't as they are the prime cause of this sort of thing.

Try the following:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site or the Dell download page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/06/10 7:46:54 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: can anyone help me retrieve my  AWOL Mc Afee Security Center?

THANK YOU  for your reply and answer, ex-Brit.

A couple of hours ago, I finally got through to Mc Afees' online support, [after using the US phone number system you kindly suggested], and a kind woman removed the old Mc Afee uninstaller. It was also cleaned 'live' [which seems to be what you reccomend, above].

However, the lady said that she was unable to reinstall Mc Afee due to the computer being infected, and she recommended I get the 60 quid online virus removal from Mc Afee........either online, or over the 'phone. My DELL computer sometimes closes down due to mthese viral pop-up attacks, so perhaps I'd be better with phone assistance.....however, I don't especially relish paying a US phone call of 35 mins on top of the 60 quid fee [I am in the UK].

I am prepared to go through the stages you have stated above, what do you reckon is the best option?

cheers, RAB.

• 3. Re: can anyone help me retrieve my  AWOL Mc Afee Security Center?
              Peter M

Naturally they would point you to their paid removal service but maybe we can avoid that.  I was afraid you were going to say that...the machine being infected I mean.

Try this.....download the free version of THIS tool, install it and update it before running.  Let it remove everything it finds and then reboot.  Hopefully it will cure whatever ails the machine.

On the off-chance the infection is the type that makes downloading "cures" impossible - if it happens then "Save as" the download under another name such as 12345.exe or whatever.

Hope this makes sense.  It's my birthday and I haven't even had my 3rd cup of coffee yet and the phone keeps ringing & interrupting my train of thought...Australia just now, so I'm only just waking up.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/06/10 8:39:27 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: can anyone help me retrieve my  AWOL Mc Afee Security Center?

Hello, Rab:

Just another end-user here (NOT a moderator or computer expert), but perhaps I can provide a few tips to add to Ex-Brit's, since he is having a busy day.  I would most certainly follow Ex_Brit's recs, since he is the actual expert. But, just to elaborate a bit...

First off, if you have uninstalled McAfee, then you probably ought to enable the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender temporarily, so that you are not completely without protection during the cleanup.  Work as much offline as possible until you get your system back to fully protected status.  Also be sure you have all your data files backed up safely, e.g. to an external hard drive, just in case.

Second, often when your computer is infected, the malware prevents even MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) from properly installing or running.

Hence, Ex_Brit's recommendation to "rename" the exe file when you save it to your desktop.  Be sure to let MBAM update to the current defs before running it to clean your system.  It's also generally a good idea to disable system restore before running it, since some of the infections may be hiding there.  You can re-enable it and create a fresh Windows system restore point when you are done.  Note, however, that turning off system restore will erase all your existing restore points, so bear that in mind.  Also, don't be alarmed if, when you try to download MBAM, you are directed to a mirror site. As long as you START on their official webpage (www.malwarebytes.org), any mirror site to which you are directed from there should be legit, assuming you don't have a browser hijacker at play on your system.

There are several, detailed, very helpful articles pinned to their user forum about malware troubleshooting, as well as tips on how to get MBAM to run on an infected machine.  And they will walk you through the entire process for free, although it may take a few days for a helper to become available.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/

Third, another excellent standalone free program is SuperAntispyware. http://www.superantispyware.com/  General download/install/update/use instructions are similar to MBAM.  There are others, as well, but if you start with MBAM and SuperAntispyware, and then follow with additional steps from (especially) the MBAM forum, you might be able to clean your system without the expensive McAfee virus removal service (though this is always an option).

Fourth, be sure to read the articles pinned at the top of THIS forum  and the "security awareness" community for some additional recommendations.

http://community.mcafee.com/community/security/malware_discussion/consumer

Once you get cleaned up, you may wish to consider installing at least the free versions of both MBAM and SuperAS, since my experience is that they run fine alongside McAfee on both Vista and Win7 platforms, and they provide additional protection against the type of rogue malware that seems to be infecting your system.

Good luck,

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 6/19/10 8:11:56 AM CDT

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma  corrected typos on 6/19/10 8:13:04 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: can anyone help me retrieve my  AWOL Mc Afee Security Center?

Thanks very much for your very helpul tips, Moxie.

Although my computer was definately infected, it ran reasonably well for about 6 months or so.....a silly decision I accept, but the only real nuisance was endless popups.

In very early December, it finally packed in, and wouldn't even switch on: so it went into a repair shop, where a new hard drive was installed [the computer was fairly heavily used over the 3 and three quarter years before it needed repairs] .

It seems to be working well again, but I still need decent protection. I am using a free virus protection method from AVG [some mates say this sysyem is not radically strong enough for proper protection, but so far it seems to be working ok with advice to stay away from certain sites, etc.

After a month, I can choose to pay for two years further protection [very reasonably priced at 30-odd UK pounds] or should I return to Mc Afee?

Is AVG any good [I assume if I pay for it, it should be OK].

Any advice is welcome: I will reply to all posts.

Many thanks, RAB.