6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 1:40 PM by Peter M

MCPR Fails

MCPR continuslly fails.  I receive the following at the bottom of my log file.

ERROR  Internal Error
      INFO   Task Scheduler service started.
      WINERR IPersistFile::Save() failed. Error: 0x80090016
      FAIL   Error while running cleanup using Task Scheduler.

When I look in the task scheduler, it says that it is not scheduled because it could not start.

Jhg2

• 1. Re: MCPR Fails
          Peter M

It can't be run in that manner (as a task)...how are you trying to run it and on what operating system and what product?

You download MCPR in the normal manner from the link under Useful Links above, right-click and unblock under Properties if necessary, and click "Run" and off it goes.

You should be signed in as a User with Administrative rights also.

It can also be run in Safe Mode.

You must reboot after running it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/06/10 1:40:16 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: MCPR Fails

The account I am using has administrator privelages.  I started MCPR from the desktop icon and it fails .  If  it is resarted a second time I need to delete the task in the task scheduler.  Even then it fails with the error I listed in my last post. This is after identifying a number of items that need to be deleted.

Jhg2

Message was edited by: jhg2 on 6/18/10 1:03:25 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: MCPR Fails
              Peter M

Make sure it's the latest version of MCPR that you have downloaded and that the applications you are trying to remove are all home versions of McAfee software as MCPR is no use for Enterprise products or ToPS for example.  Also the products have to be 2005 or later and you can't run it on Windows 98 or Me.

Try running it in Safe Mode.  It will throw up errors but should work with a reboot when finished to remove the final remnants.

If not then there is a very long and laborious registry removal process which I would have to go and find as I haven't posted it for ages.

• 4. Re: MCPR Fails
                Peter M

I found the long method.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to try the long way or contact Technical  Support Chat.

Enable Windows Firewall while you are unprotected by  McAfee.

The  regedit  procedure can be done offline anyway.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page  should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and   delete.

Hit   your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are   gone.

If   one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You  have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/01/11 8:07:51 EST AM
                • 5. Re: MCPR Fails

It is the latest downloaded from Mcafee this morning.  I will try safe mode if you would list the registry edits, that is my last thing without a system restore which I really don't want to do!

Jhg2

• 6. Re: MCPR Fails
                    Peter M

See my previous post but I would contact Technical Support Chat first before trying the hard way..under Useful Links above.