3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 1:45 PM by Odgeuk

Error 0xe0020007. Error reading disk sector on v4 to v5 upgrade

Ok. I have mentioned this on another thread but that thread was more specifically about another error in the original post.

We have found, so far with one particular machine type, a consistent failure when upgrading from 4.2.15 to 5.2.2

The failure occurs on 2nd Reboot after upgrade and is: Error 0xe0020007. Error reading disk sector

Yes. these machines have a Pheonix Bios but it is v4. This therefore does match the symptoms of KB (KB6715) about the USB Hand Back problem on v3 Pheonix Bios which leaves machines sitting on a blank black screen with no error message.

The order of events goes like this:

SafeBoot 4.2.11 installed from Software Deployment
      Machine auto-rebooted.

Moved to new container on server with correct 4.2.15 config.

Synchronized - 4.2.11 upgraded to 4.2.15
      Synchronized and started encryption.

Fully encrypted C: and D: drives.

Moved to v5 container on server and set object to config

Connected to network
      Synchronized and upgraded
      System Tray icon disappeared (as expected).

Rebooted.

Logged on OK (Login Screen is old v4 style still but with v5 container text)

New v5 System Tray icon there (expected result).

Rebooted again.

“Error 0xe0020007. Error reading disk sector” Machine not recoverable.

My first thought is, as suggested by Peter_EEPC to try 5.2.4 which will take some time to download and install and move a copy of our stupidly large Database to that environment for testing. I will try that though.

However, I'm not satisfied yet that this is a BIOS issue from any support documentation that I've read so far. The machine is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29. I beleive we may also have had this issue on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-18

Upgrades on our HP's / Dells and Toshiba's seem to have all been successful so far.