6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 5:52 PM by kokomo

Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!

I get an error message telling me that I need to reinstall the securitycenter every time I try to update now.

I also tried getting help via McAfee chat and I can't seem to get through.  Everytime I click on the chat icon, I get a popup that just gives me the homepage for support.

ANY help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!
          Dinz

HI kokomo,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, let me know the following information so that we may help you in getting the issue resolved;

What is the version of Mcafee installed in the computer . To find out ; open security center and let me know if it states : Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure .
          What is the type of internet connection (dsl/cable/wireless) ?
          Do you have any third party software installed in the computer ?

Please get back with the above information so that we could proceed further on this .

Thanks and Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!

Dinesh,

On the security center- it states: "Am I protected?  No"

I have a wireless connection with this laptop.

I'm not quite sure what third party software means (sorry not too computer saavy) but if you're asking if I have games/itunes/etc on it, yes I do.

THANK YOU!!!

Akiko

• 3. Re: Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!

I have exact the same problem. Wonder what the solution was? Frankly speaking I'm getting a bit frustrated with it and considering using other software.

• 4. Re: Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!
                Dinz

Hi,

Do you have any third party security software’s in the computer .

Please check the following and update me on the status so that we could find out what’s causing the program not to update.

Check and delete if you have any other security software other than McAfee in control panel & in the location C:\program files & C:\program files\common files.

1. Click start – Click Run
                2. type cmd and click ok

If you using windows vista/7 -> click the windows orb and hit the letter R and follow from step 2

3. In the command prompt window, type the following and press enter : ping download.mcafee.com (there is a space in between ping and download)

Check whether the above command gives a valid ip address or returns back with an error.

Regards,
                Dinesh K
                McAfee Online Community Moderator

on 6/18/10 7:54:20 AM GMT-06:00
                • 5. Re: Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!

Well, the ping gave me 92.123.64.155, which I then traced. It looked legit to me. I'm using also SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition that is not blocking anything being passive and also Spybot - Search & Destroy.. The latter always requires an OK to have something blocked. Hope that gives some indication.

• 6. Re: Help! Can't update and can't connect to chat!

I didn't download any other security software since I bought the laptop from dell and it came with the mcafee software.  There's the window defender, but I'm assuming that's standard for all pcs.

In the command prompt window, after doing what you told me to do, I get a valid ip address and no error messages.

Hope this info helps if any.

Akiko