7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 9:53 PM by peter_eepc

Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

I'm very new and not very familiar with the McAfee ePO 4.5. 'm currently learning the basic concept and basic operation of ePO 4.5 and EEPC V6. I'm testing the ePO 4.5 in a test lab environment. I have run thru some basic steps to configure the deployment of EEPC.

Step1: Install EEPC extention and check in EEPC package.
      Step2: Register AD server and Configure LDAP Sync (connection tested fine)
      Step3: Configure product setting policy and User based policy (policy catalog)
      Step4: Created a group called “EEPC Test Machines” under my organization in system tree)
      Step5: Adding group users to “EEPC Test Machines” group (from AD, added one OU and one user)
      Step6: Assign policy to users of “EEPC Test Machines” group (policy assignment rules)
      Step7: Deploy EEPC agent (configure client task in system tree)
      Step8: Deploy EEPC v6 (configure client task in system tree)

My questions comes here:-

1) I’m a kind of confuse with the concepts for automatic user account creation.  I have Registered AD server and Configure LDAP Syn in step 2. Is the users created in AD will be

able to see in ePO. Where can i see the name list?

2) I’m stuck in the step7 and step8. I intended to test deploy to only certain OU or users in the AD without affecting the others. After configure the client task for deploying EEPC agent and EEPC v6, I just realized that there is no systems in the “EEPC Test Machines” group to send an agent wake up call. I go to the group details, and setup a sync type with the AD domain but it doesn't synchronize and showing nothing in system tree. Server task log showing that the synchronization with AD/Domain failed. Anyone can advice me how to resolve this?

appreciated if anyone can help me if i'm in the wrong concept or wrong step of the deployment process..Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

Re 1) - in EE Queries and also in Data Protection -> Encryption Users -> select system and try to add EE user to it. It will show available users.

Re 2) - did you deploy ePO agent to your test PC's?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

Hi Peter, Thanks..

For question 2, i tried to configure the deployment task as step below but it seems nothing happened. last step is to send an agent wakeup call requires to select a system(s) to perform the action. I cant deploy if i'm unable the see the system(s) name in the group. the group is not synchronize with the AD.

Deploying EEPC agent  to the client system
            1. Log on to the ePolicy Orchestrator server as an administrator.
            2. Click Menu | Systems | System Tree.
            3. Select a required system from the Systems tab under My Organization pane.
            NOTE: Select a required group from the System Tree pane on the left and continue from step
            4 to deploy task to all systems of selected group.
            4. Click Client Tasks tab to configure deployment task.

5. Send an Agent wake‐up call.

Message was edited by: daveteoh on 6/16/10 11:43:58 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

I'm not sure if you understood my question.

Did you deploy ePO agent to test PC, (not EEPC agent) ?

• 4. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

Hi Peter,

I think i has lost in somewhere. I didnt deploy the ePO agent and no idea how to deploy it thru ePO server (i'm basically following the steps in quick start guide). Do you mind advice me? should I deploy ePO agent before deploying EEPC agent and EEPC v6?

• 5. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

There is one simple way to get and install ePO agent:

1. Login to ePO, goto "System Tree" menu
                  2. at bottom you will see "System Tree Actions". Expand it and click "New Systems"
                  3. in "How to add systems:" select "Create and download agent installation package"
                  4. use "Windows" as "Select Agent Package"
                  5. unselect "Use Credentials" in "Credentials for agent installation"
                  6. then click "OK" button in the right/bottom corner of the screen
                  7. when it says "Download file:" "FramePkg", just click on "Frame Pkg" link and download, then save "FramePkg.exe". That is your ePO agent installation package.
                  8. run "FramePkg.exe" on your client PC, while logged in as local administrator. It will install ePO agent software. That in turn will communicate your PC as a "system" to ePO server.

Everything is done on client PC through ePO agent. That obviously comes first. Then you can push to run "tasks" on your client PC,  including EE agent plugin and EEPC software, then enforce configurations (policies).

Message was edited by: peter_eepc on 6/16/10 10:53:38 PM EDT
                  • 6. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

Thanks Peter. very much appreciated for you help.

Message was edited by: daveteoh on 6/16/10 10:47:41 PM CDT

Message was edited by: daveteoh on 6/16/10 10:56:57 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: Questions on ePO 4.5 + EEPC V6

HI Peter, I need one more favor from you.

I tried to sync the "EEPC Test Machines" Group with AD domain. I go to the group details, and  setup a sync type with the AD domain but it doesn't synchronize and  showing nothing in system tree. Server task log showing that the synchronization  with AD/Domain failed. how do I resolve this problem?