7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 12:59 PM by outoftouch

SecurityCenter not updating

My McAfee Security Center does not seem to be updating.  I no longer see the animated update icon.

It stopped updating when I got a virus.  I got rid of the virus, but still no McAfee update icon.

I ran TS100492.bat as suggested in the McAfee Knowledge Base.  It updated some values, but then said that it could not find a file and exited.

Updates are still not working.  (The McAfee Virtual Technician reports that everything is fine.)

• 1. Re: SecurityCenter not updating
          k3tg

You may still have some remnants in there that did not completly get removed. Try running Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware both of which are free and catches a lot of stuff. www.malwarebytes.org and then run www.superantispyware.com

After installation check for the latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds. Reboot the computer and run the other program and do the same and reboot.

Let us know if you continue to have any problems.

• 2. Re: SecurityCenter not updating
            Dinz

Hi llipton,

1. Make sure that the computer doesn’t have any other antivirus software in control panel or C:\program files and common files. If found delete them.

2. Click on "Start" and then click on "Run". Then Type in "Drivers".
            On the window that opens up try to open up the folder named "ETC". Then look for the file "Hosts" and then right click on the file and open it with "Notepad". Check the bottom of the page just below from where it says 127.0.0.1 local host. If you have list of websites remove them all and ensure you have the details only up to 127.0.0.1 information about websites below this can be removed.
            Once done save the files and try to update McAfee.

Regards,
            Dinesh K
            McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 3. Re: SecurityCenter not updating

Hi Tom -

I installed, updated, and ran MBAM, and allowed it to fix everything it found (1 registry key).  I rebooted.

I installed, updated, and ran SuperAnti-Spyware. It complained about a few things and I let it fix everything.  I rebooted, but McAfee still does not update.

• 4. Re: SecurityCenter not updating

Hi Dinesh -

I checked the Hosts file and it is clean - it only has the 127.0.0.1 entry in it.

I disabled Windows Defender and PC Tools Spyware Doctor and tried to update McAfee, but still nothing happened.

Windows Defender has always run fine with McAfee, and I did not install PC Tools Spyware Doctor until a few weeks after McAfee stopped updating, so I don't believe that either is the cause of the problem.  (I do not want to un-install these programs, especially since McAfee definitions are now out of date.)

• 5. Re: SecurityCenter not updating
                  Dinz

Thanks for getting back with more information;

Moving further with this, we will have to check if the computer is able to connect with mcAfee site.

Click start – click run – then type cmd
                  In the command prompt window, type – ping download.mcafee.com and let me whether you receive a valid Ip address or it comes up with any errors.

Regards,
                  Dinesh K
                  McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 6. Re: SecurityCenter not updating

Hi Dinesh, the ping looks ok. I've attached a screenprint of the resultant cmd window.

• 7. Re: SecurityCenter not updating

Hi,

I have a similar problem and wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or just ask in one already created. I chose the latter obviously so by all means, instruct me to do otherwise if this is offensive

Problem:

Could be unrelated, but this only started today after leaving the computer on all night in Sleep mode (not a practice I usually observe...just forgot to turn it off). McAfee will run the update program no problem but this is the error I receive after it runs

An error occurred while updating. Please reinstall these programs:

McAfee SecurityCenter

When I open the Security Center, it says that Yes I am protected. Just won't update for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

edit: I have also run a few scans and results are good (no viruses). Should also note that I haven't downloaded anything between yesterday and today.

Message was edited by: outoftouch on 6/17/10 12:59:45 PM CDT