5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 11:44 AM by jctech

kerio mail server problem with VirusScan 8.7

Hello,

I have an issue with VirusScan 8.7 today where it blocks the Kerio Mail Server from sending emails outside the network. It seems to be fine with emails going to and from within the network.

Email coming into the network seem fine as well....it is just emails going out of the network that do not ever make it out. When I disable the On-Access Scanner along with Access Protection it seems to work. Does anyone know what setting this would be? I do not want to have to disable everything for the Kerio Mail Server to work....please help....thank you.

-Jae

• 1. Re: kerio mail server problem with VirusScan 8.7
          rmetzger

jctech wrote:

Hello,

I have an issue with VirusScan 8.7 today where it blocks the Kerio Mail Server from sending emails outside the network. It seems to be fine with emails going to and from within the network.

Email coming into the network seem fine as well....it is just emails going out of the network that do not ever make it out. When I disable the On-Access Scanner along with Access Protection it seems to work. Does anyone know what setting this would be? I do not want to have to disable everything for the Kerio Mail Server to work....please help....thank you.

-Jae

Hi Jae,

My guess is that 'Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail' is stopping the Kerio Mail Server from sending mail. To overcome this, you need to add a 'Processes to exclude' listing the Kerio Mail Server executable as the process.

From the VirusScan Console:

Right-click 'Access Protection' and select 'View log'

Note the name of the executable which should be listed as a blocked process. This name is case sensitive, so right down this name in as many forms as you see it. Close the log.

From the VirusScan Console:

Right-click 'Access Protection' and select 'Properties'

Under 'Categories' select 'User-defined Rules'

To the right select 'Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail' and click 'Edit' below.

Locate 'Processes to exclude:'

Within the small window, should be a list of many already excluded processes. Scroll to the end of the list and add the Kerio Mail Server executable name as found in the log from above. (You can also find the spelling from the executable name where it is installed, but the actual case sensitive command line as it is run, will not necessarily match the case listed in 'program files.' This is why the log is useful at getting to the exact case sensitive spelling.)

If you are unsure of the spelling (case sensitive), then I would include the executable in all lowercase, UPPERCASE, and 8.3 format (all UPPERCASE), separated by commas.

(Since I do not have Kerio, I will use SeaMonkey as an example.)

seamonkey.exe, SEAMONKEY.EXE, SEAMON~1.EXE

Click 'OK' and 'OK' again.

Now try to send email via Kerio Mail Server.

Hopefully this is helpful. Post back with any questions.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: kerio mail server problem with VirusScan 8.7

Wow, thank you very much! That's exactly what it was. It is working now. It is weird how the MS Exchange works fine on one server with VirusScan 8.7 but Kerio on another server gets seen as a worm...

• 3. Re: kerio mail server problem with VirusScan 8.7
              rmetzger

jctech wrote:

Wow, thank you very much! That's exactly what it was. It is working now. It is weird how the MS Exchange works fine on one server with VirusScan 8.7 but Kerio on another server gets seen as a worm...

Great!

Glad to help.

(Just for reference, could you give us exactly what processes you excluded in order for the Kerio Mail Server to work correctly?)

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 6/15/10 7:02:39 PM EDT
              • 4. Re: kerio mail server problem with VirusScan 8.7

I actually had to exclude the process called "mailserver.exe" from the epo. I went in to System Tree > Assigned Policies > Virusscan Enterprise 8.7 for the product > Edit Assignment under Access Protection Policies > Edit Policy > Anti-virus Standard Protection > click and highlight "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail" > Edit > add "mailserver.exe" to the Processes to exclude > OK > Save > Save

• 5. Re: kerio mail server problem with VirusScan 8.7
                  rmetzger

Thanks for the info.

Ron Metzger