1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 3:44 PM by gdkenoyer

How to update definitions on clients w/o central server

I've spent about an hour searching for this to no avail, so:

I am migrating a 32-bit Windows Server 2003 / Windows XP environment running SAV/SEP to a 64-bit WinSvr 2008 R2 EE / Win 7 running McAfee Total Protection; I will be deploying VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i and Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0, and whatever other bits come standard.

The target environment is air-gapped from both the Internet and my corporate intranet, and therefore from any update server, but I have ftp access to the AutoUlgrade epolicy files, the self-extracting DAT files and the Super DAT files.

I currently run a daily batch file which does an ftp pull for the Symantec signature files, and then copies them to a specific folder on each client or server.  The process for SEP is doucmented here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007100820002048

The receiving client automatically detects the new sig file and performs a local update.

The questions:

1)  Is it possible to distribute one of the DAT or ePolicy files to clients and have the client automatically update itself?

2)  What folder would be the target for the above, and which file is appropriate to distrubute?

3)  Does someone have an existing batch file for this?

Greg Kenoyer