1 2 3 Previous Next 91 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 2:29 PM by Erikkur

VSE 8.7i Patch 4

wwarren

Hi Folks,

I saw some questions about patch 4 on semi-related threads. To avoid you combing the forums for info I'm creating this one.

I'm not always in these forums but will _try_ to keep an eye on this one if questions are raised.

2 dates of significance are the RTS and RTW date.

RTS = Release to Support, where the patch has finished testing by McAfee Engineering and provides it to Tier 3. Tier 3 implement a managed release program where only select customers receive the patch; this is a 4 week program.

RTW = Release to Web, where the patch is posted to the product download page and Service Portal. This follows the 4 week managed release program.

Current date for RTS is July 20. We previously were targeting end of June, but had to address some urgent issues that needed to be included in Patch 4 and thus had to reset the schedule.

We will not be posting a list of issues resolved by Patch 4 until the readme for the patch is done, but this is typically not done until very close to the RTS date. And when done, it will be added to the knowledgebase.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4
          wwarren

FYI on the schedule of Patch 4. It has shifted to accommodate solutions to pressing issues in the field.

RTS: Aug 10

RTW: Sep 7

See the earlier posting for what these acronyms mean.

• 2. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4

Will this correct the high CPU utilization from engineserver.exe during processing of DAT files?

• 3. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4
              wwarren

No. You will always see high CPU utilization from the scanner services post update. It's unavoidable since the scanner must reload the DATs and Engine which have been updated.

What will improve with Patch 4 is the length of time which the scanner services are using high CPU, because of a DAT reloading issue that has been resolved. It affects EngineServer and McShield.

• 4. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4

I know Patch 4 was pushed back due to some late additions, you you elaborate on what all will be included as fixes in the patch as well as a new release to world date?

• 5. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4
                  wwarren

Patch 4 was expected to release to Support today, but an issue was uncovered that needs addressing - the delay is not due to any additions.

A readme will be added to the knowledgebase soon, once the package is released to Support, which will describe the resolved issues and product improvements.

A new date for RTS is still being determined, and we plan on sending a notice via SNS (Support Notification System) to advise customers of the new date. I'm expecting a ~1 week adjustment to accommodate tests and validation that must be redone.

The QA team is working to keep the delay as small as possible, but at the same time we will continue to delay the release if quality issues need resolution or warrant more prudent testing. Understandably any delay is having impact on customer environments - we have a vast list of service requests waiting on this patch; we want to deliver this patch as soon as possible too.

• 6. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4

Hi,

it is not good to see from McAfee that they do last minute delay etc. I really have concern over McAfee`s Quality/Testing department.

As you see same happen with EPO patch release also. What i want to ask then is why is it happen for them to deplay the patch or Patch posted with no proper testing(EPO case where they needed to remove Patch 2 & put Patch 3)

• 7. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4
                      wwarren

it is not good to see from McAfee that they do last minute delay etc. I really have concern over McAfee`s Quality/Testing department.

As you see same happen with EPO patch release also. What i want to ask then is why is it happen for them to deplay the patch or Patch posted with no proper testing(EPO case where they needed to remove Patch 2 & put Patch 3)

You might expect to get a variety of answers in response to such concerns, as each member of Support that you interact with could have their own opinions perhaps even sharing the same concerns. But there is one thing you can be sure of, and that is McAfee Engineering are not going to release a patch update when aware that it has business impacting issues.

The release cycle for a patch is very tight. There is little to no wiggle room or luxury of having the patch complete all tests, and verify that issues are resolved, then sitting on it for a few weeks just to make customers wait and foster some perception that the patch quality is higher because we sat on it for a while. No, when the patch tests etc are done then the patch is released, as scheduled.

One cannot predict when/where an issue will be found during the testing phase, so it is unfortunate to find something last minute.

If we say that time should be cushioned into the patch release schedule to cater for possible last minute issues, then we may find patches releasing 2 weeks earlier, 4 weeks earlier, or earlier still than the published date. That would seem odd.

For now the model followed by the engineering team is to stick to the schedule - and if quality issues warrant adjusting the schedule then the schedule will be adjusted and we'll do our best to keep you informed. Having to readjust the schedule is viewed as the exception.

• 8. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4
                        wwarren

We have a new schedule for Patch 4, and a Support Notification message (SNS) is expected to be sent today.

Be sure you are signed up to receive these alerts: http://my.mcafee.com/content/SNS_Subscription_Center

August 26 is the revised date for Release to Support (RTS).

The additional time is required for McAfee to ensure the highest quality patch release.

• 9. Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4
                          psolinski

When can we expect its Relaese Notes to be posted in McAfee KB?

on 13/08/10 18:45:50 CEST
                          1 2 3 Previous Next