8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 4:14 AM by gjoshi

Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?

We recently deployed Application Control and we're seeing that it's utilizing approximately 20% CPU.  Not too bad except that all the other stuff we're running on our store controllers/registers are already eating up about 40% CPU.  So as you can imagine, I'm getting some heat for Solidcore using up an additional 20% CPU.  Anyone else run into this or have some ideas on where I can start troubleshooting?  Should I expect Solidcore to use 20% CPU?  Oh, and we're currently in update mode, not Enabled.

Message was edited by: April Jacobs for tagging on 6/14/10 1:20:40 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?
          jhaynes

This a very difficult question to answer without any data to look at. I agree t hat 20% CPU utilization seems very high. I have a test system at idle right now and its using 0% CPU. I'd start off be looking at what types of events you are monitoring. You might attempt to to narrow a few things down by disabling some features to see if any one feature is the CPU hog. I'd start off my doing something like this.

First get out of update mode by typing in this command.

sadmin eu

And then type in:

sadmin features disable mp

Reboot your system and see if  that helps the  CPU.

If it doesn't I'd type in:

sadmin features disable mon

Reboot your system and see if the that helps the CPU.

Once you know which one of those is using the CPU make sure you re enable them.

sadmin features enable mp

sadmin features enable mon

sadmin ssreboot

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction as to which part of the product to look at. If you don't make any progress please open a case so we can dig into this.

Jeff Haynes

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?

Thanks Jeff!

My POS team is still troubleshooting other causes for the CPU utilization.  I do know that disabling Solidcore protection (through the sadmin command), the CPU did drop from 100%.  It was a variety of processes of Windows processes were pegging the system at 100% not the Solidifier process.  With Solidcore disabled the system dropped about 20-30% of the CPU.

This is definitely a place for me to start.  I'll get to it immediately  and let you know how my troubleshooting goes....

• 3. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?

Thanks Jeff... still trying a few things to get performance up and running.  I just re-addressed this issue in a new question I posted so I can just close this one out if you'd like.  I did try the things you suggested below, but I was wondering if you could tell me what mp and mon in the features are.  I looked through the scripting guide and the user guide, but it doesn't really detail what each command is.  I disabled and reenabled them, didn't seem to help the performance, but I wasn't even sure what they did....

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?
                jhaynes

Hi Jill,

The mon command controls Monitoring and is part of the Change Control product. It basically allows you to monitor and report on almost anything that can be done on your system. For example if you want an event to show up in the Windows Event Viewer every time someone starts up Calc.exe you can do that.

MP stands for Memory Protection and is the part of the product that protects memory from applications trying to do harmful things.

Jeff Haynes

• 5. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?

Cool, thanks.  We're only using the Application Control module right now and these didn't help me, but maybe they'll be useful for someone else.  Thanks Jeff!

Looks like we have some unallocated hours for professional services to use, so I think we're going to leverage that and iron out why we're seeing all these performance issues.

• 6. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?
                    jhaynes

Hi Jill,

I'd first give our support team a chance to iron out your performance issue. No need to burn the professional services hours if you don't need to. We deal with performance related issues on a regular basis. If you submit a case post back here with the case number and I'll make sure it gets into good hands.

Jeff Haynes

• 7. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?

Just a note to let everyone know that I've moved this to our new area dedicated to the Application Control product. I'm working on moving all relevant threads now.

Jeff will be the Community Leader for this area. Hooray!

Message was edited by: April Jacobs on 7/15/10 2:49:47 PM CDT
                      • 8. Re: Application Control (fomerly Solidcore) CPU utilization?
                        gjoshi

We have seen high CPU utilization with MON-UAT feature enabled though not consistently. It may occur if the siize of widows security event log is big.

Rest depend on the use case and environment.