4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 7:09 AM by Attila Polinger

ePO 4.5: sa user password for SQL 2005 express

Attila Polinger

Hi,

We are installing first time an ePO 4.5 system with a local SQL 2005 Express database option on a Windows 2003 R2 server with Russian locale. We chose SQL authentication and sa user and specified a password (all letters) to this user. Yet the installer does not accept it.

The ePO 4.5-installer.log says:

....excerpt...

DataSource used: [RUSMOSCSRV01\EPOSERVER]
      20100610091837 Setting connection string DataSource to [RUSMOSCSRV01\EPOSERVER].
      20100610091837 Connection string set for SQL Authentication database connection.
      20100610091837 SQL::connect to server RUSMOSCSRV01\EPOSERVER
      20100610091837 Testing SQL Authentication to SQL Server.
      20100610091837 Failed to connect to SQL Server [RUSMOSCSRV01\EPOSERVER] with error code [0x80004005]
      20100610091837 Description for error code is [Login failed for user 'sa'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.]
      20100610091837 Failed in connectToSQLServer with error code [183].
      20100610091837 Exiting function ValidateAccountAndSQL with return code: 2

I would think that we could specify any valid passwords, since this is a first time installation.

Any ideas why is this happening?

Thank you.

Attila

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5: sa user password for SQL 2005 express
          JoeBidgood

By default when you install SQL Express, if you choose NT authentication, it will be installed in NT auth mode only. You'll need to set it to Mixed mode. See solution 3 in this  kb article.

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: ePO 4.5: sa user password for SQL 2005 express
            Attila Polinger

Hi,

I have expressed myself unclearly: it is during the ePO 4.5 installation that we select SQL Express installation and also select SQL authentication in the wizard. So practically no previous SQL database exists on the server, ePO should be creating it based on data we enter.

Attila

• 3. Re: ePO 4.5: sa user password for SQL 2005 express
              JoeBidgood

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Presumably the SQL Express instance has been installed by the time the error is generated - can you connect to it via OSQL or Management Studio Express using the sa account? If you check the registry is it definitely set to mixed mode?

Thanks -

Joe

• 4. Re: ePO 4.5: sa user password for SQL 2005 express
                Attila Polinger

Hello,

interestingly or should I say accidentally (refer to: Murphy's Law), I failed to install SQL Management Studio on this server and with the available tools already installed I cannot answer your questions. However I have consulted with our SQL guy and he said that by default Windows authentication is enabled on the database. Then if you were member of the local admin group, you would be able to set it to mixed mode, when you can set builtin SQL users or generate new ones.

I was under the impression that  it is vice versa (i.e. mixed mode is when you enable Windows authentication too) and when ePO installer asks for autentication, I can enter sa password what I want because the installer sets then in the database.

With Windows authentication selected, I could inish ePo installation properly.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Attila