6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 9:31 AM by shuriye

System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2

kjhurni

When I initially setup my EPO 4.5 (SP1) server, I went into the Server Settings and set System Tree Sorting enabled (sort systems on each agent to server communication)

However it's not working

I have systems that SHOULD be sorted into a new group, but they continue to "stay" where they were originally at (and it's been days since I created the new group and the agents HAVE communicated to the server every 4 hours).

• 1. Re: System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2
          jmcleish

Hi,

In the ePO console in system tree- does the machine say "enabled" under the system tree sorting column and what criteria have you assigned your group to sort by?

Cheers

Jane

• 2. Re: System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2
            kjhurni

Hello,

Yes, it shows Enabled for Sorting

I'm only sorting based upon IP address range

The main group is sorted by the entire subnet

But then I have a group that specifies a portion of the previous subnet

like:

My Organization

Main office (10.10.1.1-10.10.1.254)

Newgroup (10.10.1.10-10.10.1.15)

Perhaps it's an IP range issue?  (although I thought only EPO 3.6 had that problem where you had to specify the parent group with the range and then a sub-group had to be created that was within that range)?

• 3. Re: System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2
              jmcleish

mmm- not used sub groups with IP sorting.

What about creating a tag based on the IP range then sorting it by that tag?

• 4. Re: System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2

I believe the rules work by first match. So all your systems are dropping into Main Office, leaving none for Newgroup.

Try either putting Newgroup before Main Office or make Newgroup a subgroup of Main Office.

• 5. Re: System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2
                  kjhurni

Thanks.

I did find out that it DOES still care about the parent group/IP sorting

sigh

Apparently they only fixed it if the parent group has NO criteria in it.

So I'll have to adjust my IP sorting in the parent group to exclude the sub-IP range.

• 6. Re: System tree sorting not working properly in epo 4.5 SP2

kjhurni wrote:

Thanks.

I did find out that it DOES still care about the parent group/IP sorting

sigh

Apparently they only fixed it if the parent group has NO criteria in it.

So I'll have to adjust my IP sorting in the parent group to exclude the sub-IP range.

Read this....maybe you get help from here

IP address sorting criteria

In many networks, subnets and IP address information reflect organizational distinctions, such as geographical location or job function. If IP address organization coincides with your needs, consider using this information to create and maintain parts or all of your System Tree structure by setting IP address sorting criteria for such groups.

In this version of ePolicy Orchestrator, this functionality has changed, and now allows for the setting of IP sorting criteria randomly throughout the tree. You no longer need to ensure that the sorting criteria of the child group’s IP address is a subset of the parent’s, as long as the parent has no assigned criteria. Once configured, you can sort systems at agent-server communication, or only when a sort action is manually initiated.

CAUTION:
                    IP address sorting criteria should not overlap between different groups. Each IP range or subnet mask in a group’s sorting criteria should cover a unique set of IP addresses. If criteria does overlap, the group where those systems end up depends on the order of the subgroups on the System Tree | Groups Details tab. You can check for IP overlap using the Check IP Integrity action in the Group Details tab