9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 9:45 AM by JoeBidgood

EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients

We are running EPO 4.5.0 with VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i clients.  We have our update task scheduled to run at 12:00 pm with a 2 hour randomization.  I happened to check my auto update log recently and noticed it is running the update at 5:00 pm.  My colleague noticed the same thing and we have his update set to run at 3:00 am (broken inheritance).  The server's time / time zone is correct and so our our PC's.  Do we have something set wrong in EPO?

• 1. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

This is just a guess, but I suspect that the task running at 5pm is the default update task created by VirusScan, which would imply that the client machines have not received (or or not running) the scheduled task from ePO.

To test that tasks are being received and invoked correctly, try creating an update task for a couple of machines, set the schedule to Run Immediately, and then send a wakeup call to the machines.

Do they run the task?

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients

How do I create a client task for only a couple of machines?

• 3. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients
              JoeBidgood

You could either move the machines into their own group and schedule a task for that group, or you could select the machines and choose Actions -> Agent -> Modify Tasks On A Single System. I think the second one might be easier if it's only a couple.

TH -

Joe

• 4. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients

Thanks Joe,

I made the change to a PC and performed the wake up call, but I don't see any changes occur under AutoUpdate task in the Virus Scan console and nothing happened in the update log.  The wake up call appeared to perform some kind of change looking at the agent log which I have listed below.  I don't get it.

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:47 AM Info Next policy enforcement in 5 minutes

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:47 AM Info Agent finished Enforcing policies

Scheduler 6/8/2010 11:59:47 AM Info The task update is modified

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent communication session closed

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info No package received from ePO Server

Management 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Enforcing Policies for McAfee Agent

Management 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Enforcing Policies for EPOAGENT3000

Management 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Enforcing Policies for EPOAGENT3000META

Management 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Enforcing Policies for VIRUSCAN8700

Management 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Compiling policies

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent is connecting to ePO server

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent is sending EVENT package to ePO server

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent communication session started

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent Started Enforcing policies

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Enforcing newly downloaded policies

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info New server policy was successfully merged

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent received POLICY package from ePO server

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Agent communication session closed

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:46 AM Info Package uploaded to ePO Server successfully

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:43 AM Info Agent is connecting to ePO server

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:43 AM Info Agent is sending FULL PROPS package ePO server

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:43 AM Info Agent communication session started

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:43 AM Info Agent uploading 1 events to ePO Server

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:43 AM Info Agent is looking for events to upload

Management 6/8/2010 11:59:42 AM Info Collecting Properties

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:42 AM Info Agent started performing ASCI

Agent Subsystem 6/8/2010 11:59:42 AM Info Agent wakeup call for FULL PROPS received

• 5. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients
                  JoeBidgood

You won't see any changes to the autoupdate task in the VSE console - that's normal. When you create an update task in ePO you're creating a completely new task rather than editing the existing one.

Forgive the question, but what type of task are you creating for these machines? It should be a Product Update task, configured to update dats and engines...

Thanks -

Joe

• 6. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients

Actually I am modifying the current update task for this client machine.  How do I know if/when the update task ran?  I don't understand what the console autoupdate task is for, but the console autoupdate task is set to run at 5:00 pm and the log for the autoupdate task shows it is running at 5:00 pm.

• 7. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients
                      JoeBidgood

The autoupdate task that you can see in the VSE console is the default task created by VSE when it is installed - so that standalone machines (i.e. not being controlled by ePO) will be updated daily by default.

It's not possible to modify this task from ePO - all you can do is disable it.

When you create update tasks in ePO they are sent down to the client machines as new, separate tasks - you won't see them in the VSE console. Normally the way to see if they are running is to check the agent log: for example, if the task you created was called "Daily Update for VSE", then when the task is run you will an entry like "Invoking task 'Daily Update for VSE'" in the agent log.

On the client machine, check in the agent task folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Task by default. You should have a number of .ini files - can you zip them up and post them here?

Thanks -

Joe

• 8. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients

Thanks Joe,

I do notice in the agent log that the deploy task is running at the ePO scheduled time on my client machine and I reset the ePO settings on my client machine to perform the update task.  I will check the log later today to see if it runs.  I understand now the difference from the ePO tasks and the default virus scan console tasks.  However, I do not understand why the console log show the auto update task running or how that task becomes disabled from ePO.  Do you have to do something in ePO to disable the default auto update task on client machines?  The way I see it now, there are updates running at the ePO scheduled time and the default virus scan console time.

• 9. Re: EPO AutoUpdate running at different scheduled time on clients
                          JoeBidgood

Do you have to do something in ePO to disable the default auto update task on client machines? .

Yes - in the VSE User Interface policy, there is an option for "Disable default autoupdate schedule" - if you enable this option, the default autoupdate task will stop running.

Please note that this is a one-way operation - you can't enable the default task again - but it doesn't really matter as it's easy to create another task with the same settings.

The way I see it now, there are updates running at the ePO scheduled time and the default virus scan console time.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening

Regards -

Joe