8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 7:49 AM by Peter M

Adware-180SA

My McAfee Updates are current.

My computer is set to scan every day.

When it scans, it is continually finding Adware-180SA, which it then quarentines. I review and remove.

My Question is this--- why is my virus protection allowing a program that it considers potentially harmful, to be installed on my laptop? Why would I not get warnings? My virus protection is at the recommended settings.

Using Windows Vista.

• 1. Re: Adware-180SA
          SamSwift

Moving this thread to the security awareness area....

What's is the full path to the file?

Sam

• 2. Re: Adware-180SA

Hi

Did a search for file called adware or 180SA but of course didn't find anything. How do I go about finding the file path  for ADWARE-180SA once it has been quaranteened?

thank you in advance

• 3. Re: Adware-180SA

I have this same exact problem, and judging by the number of views to this post and results from Google, many other people do too.

This shows up as a registry key.  When you "remove" it, it says that the removal was successful, but then it will show up on another scan.  I've been through this at least 15 or so times.  I've run a full scan in Safe Mode, which returned no results.  I also have Windows Vista.

How can I get this problem resolved?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Adware-180SA

While I could not find the file path of Adware-180SA, attached is a word doc with the screen shot of the registry entry. Am getting really tired of this thing!

• 5. Re: Adware-180SA

I would really like a response to this.  This PUP is slowing down my system so badly, I am considering reformatting (which is NOT an option I'd like to choose).  My problem is the same as shoechick's.  There is no file.  Here is the registry key information:

Detection Name:  Adware-180SA

Registry Key:  HKU\S-1-5-21-3159141520-3038296796-518791061-1001\Software\SAC

If I delete this key, will the problem be taken care of?  Why can't McAfee SecurityCenter remove this entry?  Is there a link to a removal tool that I can try in Safe Mode?

Again, this REALLY needs to be addressed.  We are clearly not the only two people with this problem. 

Thank you so much for your time!!

Kelly

• 6. Re: Adware-180SA
                    Peter M

This detection has been on the books since 2003 so it should be removable easily using VirusScan.  Have you tried scanning in Safe Mode?   Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up then go to Computer (My Computer in XP), right-click your hard drive and select "Scan".

Hopefully that will remove it as it should no longer be locked in place in Safe Mode.   You wont see SecurityCenter in Safe Mode but hovering your cursor over the taskbar icon will give you a progress report.

Otherwise follow the steps in this Readme:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Edit:  Do you have any software installed that has the name SAC or similar?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/10/10 7:42:19 EDT AM
                    • 7. Re: Adware-180SA

Yes, I know that it has been reported since 2003, which is why it is so irritating that nothing will remove it (I also run Malwarebytes and Adware, and I'm installing HiJackThis as I type this).  There are many variants, and it appears the issue is that the variants continue to be published with different symptoms/names.  I have Windows Vista.  Yes, I have run the scan in Safe Mode with no success in removing this junk.  It is horrid.  I have been scanning the Internet for literally HOURS and hours (wish I could bill that crap company for my hours), and have not seen the article you sent.  I will try a Safe Mode scan again with that Stinger thing mentioned in the article - haven't seen that yet.

The only "SAC" that I know of is that I run a legit program to check when my last backup was with ClickFree backup.  So, if I do remove that key (I suspect it would just come back), and it was actually legit (which it can't be) then my ClickFree reminder would just be rendered useless, right?  I can live with that and even reinstall that if it flubs.  So, removing that key *shouldn't* harm anything system related, right?  I just want to be slightly confident on that before I do it.

Message was edited by: MommyKelly on 10/20/10 7:29:56 AM CDT
                      • 8. Re: Adware-180SA
                        Peter M

You could try removing that key as a test but first you should right-click it and select Export and export it to your desktop or somewhere else of your choice.  That way it can be re merged if need be.

To remove something like that often involves extra work as it's most likely protected.

You would have to turn off Access Protection in SecurityCenter first - double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter, then click Navigation at top right, then click General Settings and Alerts at left.

Click Access Protection and uncheck the box and click Apply

It also may have to be done in Safe Mode.

I know these things can be maddening as it's happened to me several times over the years.

The Hijackthis approach would be a good idea and post the logs on one of the various HJT forums for analysis.

It's also hard to pinpoint why systems slow down.

I'm assuming that you've done normal system cleanups through Control Panel/System Maintenance/Administrative Tools - Free up disk space etc.?

Also avoid registry cleaners and optimizers as they often clean goood stuff along with the trash.