1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 12:24 PM by skowronek

Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!

I'm annoyed by the message I get "Your computer is at risk" because I don't have the windows firewall on.  Despite clicking the "dismiss" button, and "Don't show and alert when Firewall is off" box under protection alerts - I still get the error msg.

Just ran through tech support chat where I was told to turn the firewall on and then deselect the internet connection in the firewall advanced settings.

I have a splendid hardware firewall that I use.  I have no use for the windows firewall.  And rather than monkey with settings to activate (and then secretly cripple) windows firewall, I'd prefer if the McAfee software just worked better.  If I check the box to not show firewall alerts, then I shouldn't see any alerts.

Is anybody else getting this annoying error message, or am I just special?

-Tom

• 1. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!
          Peter M

Tommy-boy wrote:

I'm annoyed by the message I get "Your computer is at risk" because I don't have the windows firewall on.  Despite clicking the "dismiss" button, and "Don't show and alert when Firewall is off" box under protection alerts - I still get the error msg.

Just ran through tech support chat where I was told to turn the firewall on and then deselect the internet connection in the firewall advanced settings.

I have a splendid hardware firewall that I use.  I have no use for the windows firewall.  And rather than monkey with settings to activate (and then secretly cripple) windows firewall, I'd prefer if the McAfee software just worked better.  If I check the box to not show firewall alerts, then I shouldn't see any alerts.

Is anybody else getting this annoying error message, or am I just special?

-Tom

A hardware firewall is good but you can use a software one as well so why not enable McAfee's firewall which is included in all packages.  At least then SecurityCenter wont complain that no firewall is present or turned on any more.   Software firewalls can't detect hardware ones and vice versa.

• 2. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!
            Peter M

I forgot to add that you can turn off that warning anyway.  But as you don't state what version of McAfee you have installed I don't know what to advise.

Is your McAfee taskbar icon shaped like a shield or square?

Assuming the former meaning it's 2010 version double-click the icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation at top right

Click General Settings and Alerts at left

Click to expand Protection Alerts

Check the box Don't show an alert when firewall is off.

Click Apply.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/06/10 2:16:59 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!

Hi Peter,

I appreciate your feedback.  My whole point is that the instructions you provided me do not work.  I am running McAfee Security Center 10, build 10.0.580.  I already dismissed the alert when it popped up.  I also did everything you laid out in your instructions (which I tried to succintly indicate in my initial post).  My wife has the exact same problem on her computer.  It appears to be a glitch in the software.  The firewall message won't go away unless I enable a local software version of a firewall, which is what I do not want to do.  When dealing with support, I'd rather just have somebody tell me that it is a bug that is in the queue for a maintenance update.

I do not want to, and should not have to, enable windows firewall or McAffee firewall.  I periodically share some computer resources on these PCs (among other things) and the local machine based software firewalls tend to get in the way.  Hence, I have a solid and dependable hardware firewall attached to the cable modem so that everything in the network is shielded.  The prior version of this software worked perfectly because it allowed me to disable the alert.

I'm just frustrated.  That's all.

-Tom

• 4. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!
                Peter M

I see what you mean now.  I've asked the powers that be about this before and as the products are marketed together and are designed to complement each other, that's the way things are.  I don't think you'll see any change in the near future.

At one time one could install VirusScan, Firewall Plus etc. as standalones, but not any more.

• 5. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!

Okay, but puzzle me this ... if there is an option to turn of the Alert that my systemis at risk because the McAfee firewall is not enabled, why the heck doesn't that option work?  Are you teling me that the only way I can run McAfee Anti Virus Plus is with the McAfee firewall?  I prefer my ZoneAlarm firewall.  I'm not asking for McAfee to recognize that I have an active ZoneAlarm firewall, I'm just asking that McAfee allow me to turn off this annoying message.  Otherwise what's the purpose of having the option to turn it off if the option doesn't work?

I have McAfee Anti Virus Plus (Security Center Ver 10.5.195) installed. I have done my part and followed your advice (above) and it still doesn't work.  Is McAfee just going to ignore this customer satisfaction issue until all the customers who have complained about this problem go find another anti-virus vendor?

• 6. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!
                    Peter M

Yes, that is the way it's designed.  The ignore firewall setting is for Windows Firewall I believe.

• 7. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!

Have been a McAfee subscriber for 12 years, this issue alone is forcing me to abandon and move to Kaspersky. Rediculous product design, especially to those of us that actually know how to configure a network to not require software firewalls. Previous version never required a local firewall, should not now either.

McAfee, I bid you adieu.

• 8. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!
                        Peter M

It's been at least 7 years since the firewall was a separate product.  But good luck to you.

I think it's unwise to even think of not needing a software firewall but then who am I to say.

• 9. Re: Firewall Error Msgs - Aaaaaaaargh!

It's not unwise.  It's a necessity in my house to not have a software firewall.  It conflicts with the file sharing we do between computers (all of which are shielded from the outside world by a HARDWARE firewall).

There are other legitimate reasons that other folks do not run a software firewall.  McAfee's software has a glitch becuase it does not properly ignore when a firewall isn't used (even though the software has this "ignore" option).

I am also ditching McAfee for this reason, as well as the following reasons:

- virus detection is not as robust as other packages (such as Kapersky and Norton)

- A few months back I had 3 computers in my house throw up blue screens when the bad definition file was rolled out and McAfee attacked required computer files

I like McAfee's lighter footprint and web surfing indicators.  But I can't continue with A/V software that is not as effective as it could be, is buggy, and destroys the operating ability of multiple computers in my house (causing me endless hours of grief to fix).

1 2 3 Previous Next