1 2 3 Previous Next 66 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 3:55 PM by zeitgeist

Creating WinPE based EETech?

JayMan

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully made a EETech image based on the latest version of WinPE included with the latest WAIK from Microsoft?

The EETech User guide states that a KB artricle will be created with instructions for installing the EETech componants onto WinPE, until then contact support for instructions... Such a KB does not exist yet, so I've contacted support for assistance & get told 'Contact Microsoft for assistance with WinPE'.

The whole contact Microsoft attitude doesn't sit well with me... After all, its not WinPE that I have issues with (have built loads of WinPE images already), its installing the EETech software onto the WinPE image that I am puzzled by. The EETech software is distributed as a bunch of files under a single zipped directory with no installation requirements/instructions (other than tha BartPE instructions in the User Guide).

I have come across a script written by SafeBoot that is meant to create a WinPE based EETech image, however as the tools in the latest WinPE/WAIK have been updated (e.g. DISM instead of PEIMG) I don't really want to use outdated & unsupported scripts.

So... If anybody could please point me in the right direction on getting the files from EETech.zip installed properly into my WinPE image successfully, that would be awesome!

Cheers

Jason

• 1. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?

I wrote this version last year - not sure if it was ever tested though. It just automates the steps in the BartPE instructions. You need the framework from the old WinPE2 package (and of course the LATEST EETech etc).

let us know if it works for you!

You should be able to work out exactly how to put EETech into a PE image by following the steps in the script - the only things that are PE specific, are how to mount and unmount the image, and how to put drivers into it.

everything else is just basic file copy and registry modification - something I hope you'll agree, you should learn from Microsoft ;-)

• 2. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?

You might run into some difficulties, even if you create WinPE v2 or v3 with EETech successfully. See:

http://community.mcafee.com/message/133788#133788

• 3. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?
              JayMan

SafeBoot wrote:

You need the framework from the old WinPE2 package (and of course the LATEST EETech etc).

What do you mean by "framework from the old WinPE2 Package"? Do you mean the WAIK from Microsoft or some sort of package from McAfee? (other than the files included in EETech.zip)

SafeBoot wrote:

You should be able to work out exactly how to put EETech into a PE image by following the steps in the script

I still don't understand why people have to 'work out' how to do it. If WinPE is a supported platform for the EETech tool, there should be installation notes.

SafeBoot wrote:

everything else is just basic file copy and registry modification - something I hope you'll agree, you should learn from Microsoft ;-)

Yep I do agree that the process of File Copying & Registry Modification is something that can be asked of Microsoft if i need help... However, the developer of the software needs to tell me where file & registry modifications are required before i can even ask microsoft how to do them (not that I'd need to ask microsoft how to copy a file etc...)... Lets play this out:

MSTech: Hello & welcome to MS Tech Support

Me: Hi MSTech, Can you please tell me how to install McAfee EETech onto my WinPE image.

MSTech: Sorry, as McAfee EETech is not a Microsoft product, I am unable to provide you with Technical Support

Me: But... McAfee said to ask you how to copy the files & edit the registry

MSTech: Did they tell you what files needed to be copied & what registry changes needed to be made?

Me: No, they didn't.

MSTech: Unfortunately we are unable to help you with your request.

If it was as simple as 'extract the zip file somewhere accessable by your WinPE image, and run it once booted into WinPE' i could understand not providing instructions.... But clearly it is more complicated than that.

Imagine if all software was provided to you as a bunch of files in a single directory, and from there you had to workout yourself where to put which files.... And the only support you got was 'ask microsoft how to copy a file'...

I can think of plenty of free software products that are provided in both installer & zipped format, and provide installation instructions for both options, so I find it very suprising that this commercial software from a high end security software provider comes with no installation requirements/notes/guides for the best windows support tool platform. (I know you will say you supply instructions for BartPE, but the legality of BartPE is questionable & rely's on very old technology)

Jason

• 4. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?

I mean the framework of the files from the previous version of my script.

McAfee are not offering "support" for WinPE at the moment - yes, we should, yes we will, but we don't at the moment. You can get support from Professional Services though.

We could argue this all day, but that's the long and short of it. WinPE is a toolkit, it's not an operating system, and it's not something our current support teams are geared  up to handle. We can't just offer a zip, msi, or "package" that you install into WinPE - it's a manual and technical process, which most customers are ill equipped to handle.

This is why we went for BartPE at the beginning - because we can offer a "plugin" which is pretty easy for people to consume.

If you read through the batch file I provided, you'll be reading the instructions on how to put EETech into WinPE (W7), they are just in COM BAT rather than in English.

• 5. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?
                  McAfee are not offering "support" for WinPE at the moment

Simon, you generalize here. Do you mean all versions of WinPE?

From reading McAfee EETech document I get impression that EETech under WinPE v1 is supported.

If not, it should be stated there.

• 6. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?

"Supported" has two meanings - You can't raise a ticket for any WinPE related question with McAfee Gold support, they simply don't have the expertise to answer it.

it works fine though (on ALL versions of WinPE).

• 7. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?

Question is not about WinPE itself. Is about EETech running from WinPE environment.

If specific function of EETech in that environment fails, can McAfee Gold support provide assistance? Do they have expertise to answer?

How do you interpret this excerpt from EETech document? It definetely calls for McAfee support (do they mean Professional, Gold or else)?

Removing encryption and boot sector with file

authentication

If Endpoint Encryption does not work and the previous Encryption and Boot Sector Removal

with token authentication cannot be used, then follow this task.

CAUTION:

This procedure should only be attempted under the guidance of McAfee Support.

For this method, the recovery information file (.xml) should be exported from ePO.

Before you begin

Before proceeding with this task, you must have the following:

• The EETech WinPE V1 Recovery CD/DVD boot disk.

• The floppy drive or USB containing the

Recovery Information File (.xml).

• The daily Authorization/Access code.

Message was edited by: peter_eepc on 6/4/10 9:52:48 AM EDT
                      • 8. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?

of course - that's our product, any questions about how to use EETech can be logged. The grey area may come into play though - for example if EETech is failing because you forgot to include SATA drivers - we can tell you what the problem is, but not how to fix it.

Strange question Peter - are you setting me up ?

• 9. Re: Creating WinPE based EETech?
                          Strange question Peter - are you setting me up ?

What do you mean?

I'm (and others) just trying to understand on what items I can get McAfee Support and which procedures should work, according to published McAfee documentation.

1 2 3 Previous Next