1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 6:17 AM by Peter M

ADWARE-ONESTEP

My Scans give me two "potentially Unwanted Programs" -- Adware-Onestep and Generic PUP.X!do.  The location for both is the same:  C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tempor ary Internet Files\Content\TW412RYV\upgrade[1].cab   

McAfee states it cannot Quarantine either one.

When I search for the file there is no "Temporary Internet Files or anything that follows.  I have searched with everything unhidden and cannot find. 

Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it?

• 1. Re: ADWARE-ONESTEP
          Peter M

Have you tried running Virusscan in Safe Mode?    Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up and then go to C:\Windows\ - right-click the System32 folder and select Scan.

In that mode it may succeed.

That looks to be leftovers from some upgrade or other.  Did an upgrade occur at some stage?

Meanwhile not knowing what system and service pack you are using , or what McAfee products for that matter, I'm guessing here, but you could try deleting all your temporary internet files.

Go to Tools/Internet Options/General and under Browsing History click the delete button.

Also try this..

Go to Start/Run and type in temp and click OK.

Click Edit/Select All  and then click Shift/Delete to bypass the recycle bin and clear them out.

Repeat that typing in %temp%.  In that case not all will go but most will.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/06/10 7:17:52 EDT AM