5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 9:05 AM by peter_eepc

Slow to Backup

Is it normal to take a huge amount of time to backup the database to an external source?  I kicked off a backup of my database (approx 10 GB) about 3 hours ago and it is only about 10% complete.

• 1. Re: Slow to Backup

depends on how smart your backup software is - yes, it could I guess.

of course it depends on what the source and destination bandwidths are, how busy the server is, whether you are on a san/nas/das etc. Too many variables really .

• 2. Re: Slow to Backup

How many objects (users and machines) do you have in your database? 9 hour full backup time might be needed for 200K of objects.

Do you have database index(cache) enabled and working properly? What settings do you use for backup?

• 3. Re: Slow to Backup

How does the name index affect the backup time?

• 4. Re: Slow to Backup

I have about 60,000 objects.  I am doing a straight file copy of the SBData directory from a server that is going to be retired to a new server that will be replacing it.  I'm trying to get a feel for how long the process is going to take.  Name Indexing is set to "Yes" in the DBCFG.ini and it is working properly as far as I know...is that what you were asking?

• 5. Re: Slow to Backup

I would suggest to make a backup test to another folder/drive on the same server as database.

Just to see how fast(slow) that will go, avoiding network issues altogether.