3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 8:07 AM by sgrimmel

Default versus High-risk process policies

Hello All,

Is there any difference between the default and high-risk policies? Obviously this enables processes in the low-risk policy to be set, but other than that, are there any differences at all?

The high-risk policy has a list of pre-populated processes, although this is hidden under the default policy. So can someone please confirm whether default is in fact the high-risk.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Default versus High-risk process policies

Default applies to every process that isn't included in "High Risk", or "Low Risk". If "Configure one scanning policy for all processes" is set, then the settings enabled in "default" is used for all processes. Otherwise the individual policies are applied for processes in "High Risk", and "Low Risk" according to the settings,

The available options against the three types are the same. It's up to the Administrator to work out what settings are appropriate for each level.

I can't recall if High/Low processes have a preset set of policies when you first install VSE and whether they are different by default for each. Should be easy to quickly check and compare.

Message was edited by: Mal09 on 27/05/10 11:18:47 GMT
          • 2. Re: Default versus High-risk process policies

Wow thank you Mal09 for the quick response!

I also realised what a ******* question it was ha! All exe's are scanned under the default processes policy. So the list being pre-populated in high-risk is already being scanned. So there is in fact no difference between high and default, with the exception of being able to add low-risk.

• 3. Re: Default versus High-risk process policies

Hi

Please consult the following McAfee KnwledgeBase articles:

• Understanding High-Risk, Low-Risk, and Default processes configuration and usage (KB55139)
              • How to create low-risk and high-risk process exclusions in VirusScan Enterprise (KB58692)
              • How to create low-risk and high-risk process exclusions for VirusScan Enterprise 8.x in ePO 4.0 (KB67541)
              • How to create low-risk and high-risk process exclusions for VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i / 8.7i in ePO 4.5 (KB67544

Let me know if you have any queries.

HTH