3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 10:02 AM by twenden

How to send EPO Notifications to Gmail

twenden

Our university has already switched to Google Apps for Education. Currently our EPO server sends it's email notiifcations via our internal email server on port 25. This internal email server will soon be retired making us fully use Google.

On my test EPO server, I have been trying to make the EPO server connect and send notification via gmail. For Gmail, the outgoing smtp is port 465. Under EPO, Server Settings & Email, I entered smtp.gmail.com and port 465 for the settings. Then I click the test button and nothing happens, it just hangs saying submitting email. In TCPView, I can see the connection from the server to google on port 465 but nothing happens.

I have tried selecting authenticate and entering my credentials/password for the account inof but again nothing happens. In fact it appears to hang Tomcat and make the dashboard become non-responsive.

Has anyone tried this and can offer any solutions.

• 1. Re: How to send EPO Notifications to Gmail
          Attila Polinger

Hi,

just a tip: are you sure the smtp.gmail.com accepts connection from everyone? If it does, why has it a non-default SMTP port then?

(also are you sure that your firewall has rule to allow outbound port of 465? )

If you check the MX records of gmail.com, neither mail server is named like smtp.gmail.com:

gmail.com       MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
          gmail.com       MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
          gmail.com       MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
          gmail.com       MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
          gmail.com       MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com

These should accept mail on port 25. Try one of these directly.

Attila

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 5/28/10 10:13:03 AM CEST
          • 2. Re: How to send EPO Notifications to Gmail
            Attila Polinger

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your situation. I read about gmail usage from external mail client and what I think your problem could be is that ePO cannot use SSL or TLS durign SMTP authentication.

Sorry again.

A.

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 5/28/10 8:07:07 PM CEST
            • 3. Re: How to send EPO Notifications to Gmail
              twenden

Thanks. I suspected that it was an EPO limitation. It will give me more ammunication for upper management to use an internal email server for server notiifcations.