1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 1:48 PM by Dinz

total service installer: Download Can't Continue

Hi, as of right now I'm connected to the internet.

however recently I accidentally loaded a webpage with scareware on it, I managed to do a rollback to a couple days before yesterday so it's not active right now.

but, the scareware was messing with my browsers, it changed the proxy settings of both IE8 and Firefox to be only it's own proxy, I changed it back to automatic but certain websites wont load still.

naturally the websites are the windows update site and your download server, they've locked those 2 off somehow cause they know they might help get rid of the scare ware.

please help me fix this problem.

• 1. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue
          Dinz

Hi Joshex,

What is the operating system we use in the computer ?
          How is the computer currently connected to internet ?Do we receive any alert/ pop ups in the computer regarding any virus invasion ?
          Provide me with a screen shot of the error you receive while accessing the download page .

Thanks & Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue

windows XP (didn't get to download servicepack 3)

broadband through ethernet automatically connected no login  or passwords

when the scareware was active yes I recieved a pop-up saying my computer was infected, it refused to let me run any program other than the scareware, I had to hold down Ctrl+alt+del to get the task mannager to stay open so I could kill the virus.

but it's still on my computer somewhere and will activate again in a few days if I don't remove it.

I can't take a screenshot, I can't find the program to do so.

I downloaded the TotalService installer after purchasing it and, when I ran the program it tells me:

Download Cannot Continue

Your McAfee Software download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection or the mcafee download server is unavailable. To fix this, make sure your PC is connected to the internet or wait for a few moments for the server to become available, then try again.

Additional, when I try to run certain webpages pages (such as windows update and certain pages ont he mcafee site) i get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Most likely causes:

• You are not connected to the Internet.
            • The website is encountering problems.
            • There might be a typing error in the address.

Message was edited by: Joshex on 5/26/10 11:37:33 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue
              Dinz

Joshex,

First of all, lets check if the malware has changed any of you computer settings; 

1.       Click Start – click Run – type drivers and click OK

2.       In the next window, check for a folder that says ETC, double click on it

3.       Here, you could find a file that says HOSTS , right click on it , select open and choose Notepad and click OK

4.       In here, the last line should say 127.0.0.1 and any entries below this can be deleted and save the notepad (Click file and click save )

Next,

1.       Click start – Click run and type ncpa.cpl

2.       Right-click the Network Connection icon and select Properties.

3.       Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

4.       Verify that your settings are identical to those displayed below. If they are not, make the necessary changes and click OK

network properties.JPG

Kindly check the following and update me on the status so that we could proceed further.

Thanks & Regards,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue

ok did all that and everything was as it should be.

something is still restricing my connection though.. odd.

• 5. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue
                  Dinz

Your computer might be still infected with a virus, causing your web browser and other applications that use the Internet to be unable to access the intended websites, instead being redirected to unwanted websites or failing to load the website altogether.

The articles below can assist you in removing some of the most common viruses causing this behavior:

• Some customers are redirected to a non-McAfee website or receive an error or blank page when attempting to download or update McAfee software: TS100534
                    • Important notice if you think you have a virus: TS100893

Thanks & Regards,
                  Dinesh K

• 6. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue

the links to the articles don't work,

The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix.

sounds like we're on the right road though.

Message was edited by: Joshex on 5/26/10 11:07:03 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue

ok I got the file name of the virus, but I can't find it in normal a file search.

how would i go about ascertaining the whereabouts of the file and opening that directory so i can delete it?

the file name is Sldlvfstssd.exe it's a scareware program,.

• 8. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue

the scareware files were in hidden folders.

C:/Documents and settings/user/local settings/application data/

I had to go in to that directory in internet explorer from where deleteing the files was simple. (cause I found thier names in task mannager.)

I deleted Sldlvfstssd.exe, but this particular scareware program has alternating files, another one's name is Cpkydihtssd.exe

what really sucks is the file and folder search tool in windows doesn't search in hiden folders, so you have to find the programs manually..

• 9. Re: total service installer: Download Can't Continue
                          k3tg

Has the deletion of these files allowed the download to continue or has it made no difference?

1 2 Previous Next