7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 9:41 PM by marthaj Branched to a new discussion.

Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?

I ran antivirus plus this morning and it showed 2 viruses dectected in last scan, but the number went to 0 before my eyes. However, there appears to be no information provided. I ran the a quick scan and a full scan after this initial scan and both time the security report notes 2 trojans dectected, but no action is being taken by antivirus. I'm frustrated and confused. I recently renewed my subscription and the mcafee security center layout of antivirus is absolutely atrocious compared to my old version. I would like an official mcafee tech explanation of why I'm getting trojans listed but no action is suggested or taken by anti-virus, and what I'm supposed to do, please.

Just to clarify, when I renewed less than two months ago, my mcafee program seems to have changed from McAfee Secrity Center to Antivirus Plus - did this program automatically change its layout and functioning or did your site change my program renewal because I literally responded to subscription renewal alerts.

Message was edited by: sanglant316 on 5/24/10 6:45:05 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?
          SamSwift

Hi,

What are the detection names and file paths?

I would recommend reading this document as a first port of call.

Hope this helps.

Sam

• 2. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?

I'm having the same problem with additional issues.  What ever the cause it is not allowing McAfee updates but telling me that I am up-to-date.  I just tried McAfee free scan and a message bounced in that my browser is too old.  IE must be 5 or higher.  I am IE8 and have been for a long time.  Just as it my security center tells me 0 viruses but when I cllick on anything on the page, # 2 replaces # 0 but only for a second.  I've had PCs and laptops for 19 years and this is the first issue I have ever had.  I am frustrated.  Sorry this isn't an answer just a note to let you know you aren't alone.

I'm wondering if deleting McAfee would solve the problem since it seems to be McAfee related.  I don't understand why McAfee would allow some quack to get away with this.  I'm to the point that I can't tell if I have a real page or a phoney one.  They have the logo down really well and seem to be getting better with the individual pages.  Fix it for us please and go get the bad guys.

Message was edited by: sandramacy on 5/28/10 6:24:22 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?

I having similiar issues.  My computer runs Antivirus plus and every time it says all is well, however, the report states 1 Trojan.  It never removes the Trojan - apparantly.

I run AVG and Spybot - both found nothing.  My conclusion is McAfee is either listing the Trojan in error or can't get rid of it.  I had a chat with support this morning.  The fellow told me it's ok.  When I told him it's not ok since the program keeps telling me I have a Trojan, he directed me to McAfee Virus Removal.  Why in the world should I pay for something I already paid for?  Very disturbed and disappointed.

• 4. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?
                k3tg

You could get another opinion from Malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.org and SuperAntispyware www.superantispyware.com both of which are free and catches a lot of stuff. Run the program and let it clean anything it finds and reboot, then run the other program and do the same.

• 5. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?

I will give it a try.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?

I am having the same issue.  The McAfee report says 1 Trojan detectd and that my computer is secure.  McAfee chat was unable to remove the Trojan.  Did yu ever get yours removed?  Did it cause problems?

• 7. Re: Trojans detected but no action taken, what to do?

i just had the same experience with mcafee chat. they were no help at all. they said they would send a link for a free scan and to go to virus removal section. this is a brand new computer and my first experience with mcafee ( had norton for many years). you pay all this money to protect a computer and when it says it has a trojan they want even more money. why did it not protect the computer in the first place.  i am totaly disappointed with mcafee.

oh and they ended my chat session befor i coud even copy the numbers and a link - for the scan.