3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2010 9:42 PM by joshgl

Previous VirusScan is not upgraded with new McAfee Agent

Hi, I'm doing a complete upgrade of our McAfee infrastructure. We are going from ePO 4.0 to ePO 4.5 Patch 1. I am starting fresh with a new ePO server and migrating machines over. In general we are going from VirusScan 8.5 Patch 7 to VirusScan 8.7 Repost Patch 3, but about a couple months ago we started getting servers with Windows Server 2008 R2 and some Windows 7 machines and had to manually install a VSE 8.7 Patch 2 package on them until we could get our infrastructure (ePO server, Agents, etc...) upgraded.

The problem is the machines that were manually upgraded to VSE 8.7 Patch 2. There are about 60 of these unmanaged machines. Everytime I push the McAfee 4.5 agent to these machines, it installs fine, but the VirusScan never upgrades to Patch3.

Is this intended behavior for the Agent not to upgrade software that wasn't installed by ePO? Is there anyway to over-ride this or am I going to have to manually uninstall VSE 8.7 first on these machines (this does work, but it will definitely add to my upgrade time). I'm hoping there's just something small that I'm missing.

There is a Product Deployment Task that is setup to install VSE 8.7, but it only works on the machines that were previously managed by the old ePO server.

Also, the version of VSE 8.7 P3 that I'm trying to distribute was packaged using MID.

Thanks much,

Josh

Message was edited by: joshgl on 5/20/10 1:07:27 PM GMT-06:00