7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2010 9:39 PM by exbrit

Reinstalling Total Protection problem

I had a realtime error and could not fix it. I decided to uninstall and reinstall. However, when I tried to reinstall it failed. It downloaded and said Installing now. took about 60 seconds and then showed that everything had failed. I went into the regedit File and deleted all the files that i could. there are some that i can not. (Ex: DeviceDesc      McAfee Inc. cfwids) All of the DeviceDesc. files can not be deleted. I have also tried going into safe mode and tried to delete. still nothing. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Please and Thank You......

• 1. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem
          Dinz

Hi,

Please let me know certain information about the computer such as;

What is the operating system of the computer ? (win xp/vista/7)
          How is the computer currently connected to internet ?
          Check if you have installed any other security softwares  under the control panel – add/remove section ?

Please provide me with the exact error message that we receive during the download , f possible attach a screenshot for the same.

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem

I am running Windows 7 and am connected directly to the internet. The window thats shows which software is being installedshows all of them failed.

SecurityCenter : Failed

VirusScan : Failed

Personal Firewal : Failed

Parental Controls : Failed

Anti-Spam : Failed

SiteAdvisor : Failed

Product Configuration : Failed

Then it tells me to try installing again or run the McAfee Virtual Technician. I have run that and it can not find and Mcafee program. This is true. I have none now.

I also do not understand why I can not delete all the Files in the registry either.

• 3. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem
              Dinz

Ok,

First of all let me know whether you are the administrator of the computer.
              If yes, Please create new windows user with administrative rights.
              Run the removal too from useful links at the top of this page.
              Check and install any available windows updates (Shortcut: Open IE, click tools – click windows update)
              Restart the computer and tap the F8 key, from the windows advanced options menu , select safe mode with networking .
              Reinstall your products from your account page. This should work.

Please let me know if any issues.

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem

I logged into my acct. and clicked on the removal tool and this is the page that i got....  

Not exactly what this is talking about.

The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix.

• Technical Support documents use the prefix TS. For example, TS100376. To search for a specific document, navigate using the link at the top of the page. Click FAQs and Search on the left, and then click Proceed to Search.

• Customer Service documents use the prefix CS. For example, CS40021. To search for a specific document, navigate using the link at the top of the page, then click FAQs and Search on the left.
                • 5. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem
                  exbrit

The removal tool (MCPR) is linked under Useful Links at the top of this page or can be found via Technical Support FAQ's linked via Home and Home Office Support under McAfee Support above or the Technical Support link under the aforementioned Useful Links.

• 6. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem

Yes, I do know this. I clicked the link and it showed me the above mentioned page with error.

• 7. Re: Reinstalling Total Protection problem
                      exbrit

Maybe a website problem at the time, it works fine for me.

See attached.