4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 5:25 PM by candrade

Purpose of cleanup.exe?

Hi,

After deploying epo-agent version 4.0.0.1421 to our systems, it seems a file cleanup.exe is being put under a directory C:\windows\temp\mfexxx.tmp.

It also seems removing this file/directory just makes it come back. What's the purpose of this? Is it normal behaviour or should I be worried?

• 1. Re: Purpose of cleanup.exe?
          JoeBidgood

This is normal - cleanup is part of the agent installer. I shouldn't worry about it - unless it's causing other problems?

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Purpose of cleanup.exe?

We use a third party tool to distribute the framepkg.exe and it was set to distribute always without checking if the agent was already installed or not :-).

The cleanup.exe file under c:\windows\temp\mfexxx.tmp was part of a pending file operation.

So it seems in no way should you have that file in that location under normal circumstances. Only after an agent installation/reinstallation until first reboot.

• 3. Re: Purpose of cleanup.exe?
              JoeBidgood

Yes, that's correct - it should be removed on the next restart

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: Purpose of cleanup.exe?

Hi all,

I have the same problem, but in my case mfexxx.tmp files end up using all the free space on the disk, what can be?

Machine with Problem:

System Description N/A
                Operating System OS Type:Windows 2000,OS Platform:Professional,OS Version:5.0,OS Service Pack Version:Service Pack 4
                Is 64 Bit OS No
                Description
                System Tree Sorting Enabled
                Managed State Managed
                Agent Version (deprecated) 4.0.0.1494
                Last Communication 6/23/10 5:40:43 PM
                Last Sequence Error
                Sequence Errors 0
                Installed Products Data Loss Prevention 3.0.20.1, McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1421, Product Coverage Reports 4.0.0.1494, VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.570.Wrk, AntiSpyware 8.7.0.129

Thanks,

Regards.

Atte;

CAndrade