1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2010 8:43 PM by k3tg

Looking for help please

Ok, so my computer failed to re-boot after the April update. I got a blue screen of death...

Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer

***STOP: 0x0000008E

mfehidk.sys error

sptd.sys

I got the McAfee 5958 Recovery tool and ran it. It worked as described until the reboot and then I got the same

blue screen of death.

The only way I can run my computer now is to reboot in safe mode and uninstall McAfee. The computer will

then reboot just fine. I then reinstall McAfee...the good news is that I don't have to restart the computer after the

install. The bad news is that if I have to reboot for any updates I will still get the blue screen of death and have

to do it all over again. Can anyone help??? Thanks

• 1. Re: Looking for help please
          k3tg

You should try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee issues and attempt to fix them. It will generate a session id which you should post here for the moderator to review. If MVT finds something it cannot fix then I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat also under Useful Links for diagnosis of your issue(s)

You mentioned you have uninstalled your software. Have you used the MCPR removal tool? You may have some corrupt files that Add/Remove failed to get completely out.

It might also be helpful to know if you are up to date with Microsoft updates, what operating system you have, how much ram,etc.

If your issue is in conjunction with the 5958 problem you need to follow up with McAfee. That is why I recommend contacting Chat.

Good Luck