5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 6:00 AM by exbrit

Trusted Programs Lists

I have had this program for years and now McAfee is suddenly saying its a trojan and it deletes it

so how do I add my program to the list so it won't be deleted

luckily I uploaded to a file website a long time ago so I can just re-download it whenever it gets deleted but it gets annoying because I have to turn off scanning just to be able to download and use it

I have McAfee 2010 Total Protection

I had the beta at first

Message was edited by: Sean.39 on 5/13/10 12:53:52 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Trusted Programs Lists

I've moved this to our VirusScan area for home users. Hopefully an expert can help you soon.

• 2. Re: Trusted Programs Lists
            exbrit

Hi Sean.39,

This unfortunately happens with any antivirus at some point or other.   Basically you'll have to temporarily disable virus protection, reinstate the item from quarantine and submit it by email for analysis (or online).

The process is usually pretty quick and is outlined here: http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/05/10 11:48:56 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Trusted Programs Lists
              Dinz

Hi Sean.39,

When a file is scanned, VirusScan compares it to known threats. VirusScan also uses heuristic techniques to detect unusual behavior. When a file cannot be matched to a known threat, but exhibits unusual and possibly threatening behavior, VirusScan uses Artemis technology to evaluate the threat of the unknown file. If the file is deemed unsafe, VirusScan quarantines the file to protect your computer.

If you feel that VirusScan has incorrectly quarantined a file you know to be safe, you can recover that file using the steps below

1.       Click Send to McAfee to send the file to McAfee Labs for further investigation.

2.       Send the file to directly to our automated systems at virus_research@avertlabs.com. If the automated system is unable to determine a threat exists then the issue will be escalated to McAfee analysts.

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trusted Programs Lists

but why would I have to do that just to make it so my file doesn't get deleted?

why don't they just have it so the user can make a file trusted or untrusted?

then I could see sending the file to McAfee if it was untrusted to help people in the future

• 5. Re: Trusted Programs Lists
                  exbrit

We have been asking for that feature to be reintroduced for around 8 years now.  Hopefully they will listen eventually.

Once you send the file to them they usually can get it cleared within 24 hours.  Then it wont be rejected anymore.

That link explains it.