1 2 3 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2011 5:12 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit.  McAfee Total Protection 2010 keeps alerting me that Real-Time Scanning is off, however, when I click on "turn on" it stays on for only about 3 seconds.  I connect to the internet wirelessly from my notebook.  Can anyone give me some ideas on how to fix this irritating issue?

• 1. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.
          ccmango

I am having the same problem. What can we do??

I also get continual pop-ups saying my computer is unprotected and I need an update.

• 2. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

I too am having the same problem...just started after the last update(McAfee Security Center).

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3 and AntiVirus Plus 2010.

I can't turn on the Real-Time Scanning.

Under Windows "services"...McShield is disabled...tried to enable it but keep getting an error msg:

"Unable to open service McShield for writing on Local Computer. Error 5:Access is denied."

I also tried the oas-disabled-fix patch...but still kept getting an error msg.

Right now I have no antivirus program working...not good!!!!

• 3. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

I finally got AntiVirus Plus to work properly...I had to edit the registry to

change "McShield" service from disabled to automatic and then rebooted.

Hope this fix works permanantly. I think it was a bug with the new update.

• 4. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.
                Dinz

Hello All,

The real time scanner gets disabled die to various scenarios like conflict with a different antivirus scanner , malware infections or some times with incomplete updates.

Please check the following to update and enable real time scanner;

* Check and delete if you have any other antivirus software in add/remove programs
                * Checked and delete any folder for third party security software from C:/program files and common files

Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-click services.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.

1. Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and click Start.
                2. When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
                3. Open McAfee SecurityCenter and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
                4. Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled.

If you are unable to start the McShield service or if Real-Time Scanning does not remain enabled,

Download and run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility

click  on this link
                http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-f ix.cmd , and restart the computer after tool completes.

The real time scanner should stay enabled now.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

on 5/12/10 9:26:35 AM GMT-06:00
                • 5. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

Even i have the same problem.

Just followed the instructions provided by Dinesh; but the problem is not resolved. Any help is appreciated.

• 6. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.
                    Dinz

Hi eshwarnp,

Can you please click on Useful links at the top of this page and then click Technical support and get connected with out technicians so that they help you in getting this fixed.

• 7. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

I am having the same issues.   I thought it was fixed a couple of weeks ago by Virtual technician but the problem is back and MVT cannot get the McShield process fixed.  The tech who helped me previously said the problem developed after a McAfee update.  I tried to click on the link above to get the fix but it gives me a page of gibberish. What is next?  I cannot stand calling tech support because i cannot understand them half the time.  Last time I had to give them my credit card so they could take over my computer and check for viruses and there were not any.  Granted I did get my charge refunded but they shopuld have known at the time this was an update issue.

I run Windows XP sp3

Security Center 10.5.221

Virus Scan 14.5.130

Firewall 11.5.141

• 8. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.

Just reinstalled McAfee(Cox Security Suite)  version and all seems to be working fine.  For now at least.  Last time I did this it lasted 2 weeks before the problem started again.

• 9. Re: Real-Time Scanning is Off...and I can't get it to turn on.
                          Ex_Brit

Just a thought, many problems such as this can be caused by the use of registry cleaners, so go easy with them, if you have them.

1 2 3 Previous Next