3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 4:32 PM by cccc

Howto kill mcafee services from the command line?

hi

We have VSE 8.7i SP2 installed.

One of our WIN2003 Standard SP2 server is completely hanging since 3 hours at shutdown.

It seems, cannot stop mcafee services by itself.

I've already tried to connect using mmc -> add/remove snap-in -> services, but I cannot any stop mcafee services.

I can connect to this server via remote using PsExec from Sysinternals Suite, so I have the command line.

Howto stop mcafee services from the command line?

If I try from the command line:

net stop "McAfee McShield"

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Pls help is really urgent.

on 5/8/10 5:54:07 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Howto kill mcafee services from the command line?
          rmetzger

cccc wrote:

hi

We have VSE 8.7i SP2 installed.

One of our WIN2003 Standard SP2 server is completely hanging since 3 hours at shutdown.

It seems, cannot stop mcafee services by itself.

I've already tried to connect using mmc -> add/remove snap-in -> services, but I cannot any stop mcafee services.

I can connect to this server via remote using PsExec from Sysinternals Suite, so I have the command line.

Howto stop mcafee services from the command line?

If I try from the command line:

net stop "McAfee McShield"

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Pls help is really urgent.

on 5/8/10 5:54:07 PM CDT

Yes, that is expected. From version 8.5i on, self-protection mechanisms exist to stop malware from terminating VSE. Thus, unless you specifically shut Off these self-protection settings, other processes and programs will not be successful at terminating VSE. This is by design. Running 'net stop mcshield' (or other McAfee services) will not work. Again, you would have to turn off the self protection measures first before these services can be stopped from the command line.

Since this is happening at shutdown, there is not much you can do, but power cycle the system and hope for the best. By now, any services that have responded to the shutdown notification, have responded and shut down.

I for one, have added UPHClean (User Profile Hive Cleanup service) to Windows 2003 and down. (This service has been included with Windows Vista and up.) This could help with the shutdown process for the future.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570 -42470E2F3582&displaylang=en for more information on UPHClean.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Howto kill mcafee services from the command line?
            HupSkiDup

You could try one other thing.  connect to that machine from another box using the virusscan console , open vs console, tools, remote console (i recommend a machine on the same lan)..

when the remote console comes up.  dbl click access protection and see if you can uncheck the prevent stopping mcafee services from being stopped...

then you can try your net stop mcafeeframework and see if it that helps the deal..

• 3. Re: Howto kill mcafee services from the command line?

Thx, connect to that machine from another box using the virusscan console seems to work well.