1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 2:33 AM by Attila Polinger

Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7

I only noticed just now that all reports stopped working since we upgraded from 8.5 to 8.7 last january. The response I get is: No data available.
      The VSE reports extension has been checked in.

I also checked this post but that does not seem to be the problem. Can anyone shine a light on this?

• 1. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7
          Attila Polinger

Hello,

if you are not reluctant to use direct SQL access/queries in an SQL client, you can troubleshoot this to a certain extent. All reports have an SQL format that you can view and copy their content into the SQL client /this way you understand what tables are looked into/.

Could you post here the VSE reports extension version, and some details (screenshots) on the report (preferably the filter condition, and what the aim of the report is) ?

Attila

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 5/7/10 12:03:06 PM CEST
          • 2. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7

Hi Atilla,

Thanks for your answer. I don't know how to troubleshoot the issue via SQL queries. maybe I'll have to find that out later.
            What I want to do is create or use a query to output the threats detected in the last month.
            I tried narrowing down the filtercriteria for the report, but no matter what I change, I always get the message

'Query did not return any results'.

The version of the VSE reporting extension is 1.1.0.146.

See the screenshot of my default query. Again, I did not change anything to the query, it stopped working when the clients were upgraded to VSE 8.7

p.s. an older report does work, but does not show new entries (of after the upgrade)

Message was edited by: Jpatje on 5/7/10 12:37:01 PM GMT+01:00
            • 3. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7
              Attila Polinger

Hello,

sometimes new VirusScan versions might change the format or add new values to reported event data, and I suspect this is one reason why the reporting extension is needed: to make sure, that old reports work with new event data.

When you use SQL queries directly, you can see what is stored in database fields and can find out why a given ePO filter criteria does not yield results. Secondly, I also suspect that reports mostly work on database views (a logical structure that is defined on physical fields, creating virtual tables), and a "field" in a view can be a result of the function of several physical field values.

Anyway, let us not choose the direct SQL queries then.

Make sure your database reserves data beyond one month (so an automatic event deletion mechanism is not in place).

Then please try changing the Detecting Product Name criterion to Detecting Product ID, and set it to "Starts with - VIRUSCAN".

Also, try removing the threat type criterion, also, and see if you get any result with just querying all VirusScan events.

In addition, please attach here a txt file, with contents of the original query. To do so, select the query in Reports and click on View Query SQL, and then select all the rows, press Ctrl-C, open a new notepad document and press Ctrl-V. I'd like to run it on our system.

Attila

• 4. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7

Hi,

I tried changing the product ID instead of product name, to VIRUSCAN, but still no results. I can´t imagine anything has happened to the database.
                Anyway, I attached the query to this post.

Maybe it´s an idea to remove the report extension and reinstall it?

• 5. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7
                  Attila Polinger

Hello,

the query should be good: I ran it within SQL Managemebnt Studio (direct query) and also created an ePO report based on that, and both yielded results on my database.

See attached pictures.

Well you should also run it in SQL Management Studio to see if the database has records or not. And If it has, then next step could be to reinstall the reporting extension.

Another opportunity is to run the report without date filter and Threat Type filter, and once it produces results, introduce the other filters slowly and gradually.

Attila

• 6. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7

Hi Atilla,

Thanks again for your efforts. I will try this soon. At least now I know the queries are correct.
                    The easiest thing to try will be to reinstall the extension I think.

Btw, you have a lot of detections in your environment

• 7. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7

I just re-installed the Reports extension and will check in a few days if I get any results.
                      A collegue of mine ran the SQL query directly on the database, but there were no results.

Other reports are working fine, it's just all VSE reports that stopped working I noticed.

• 8. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7
                        Attila Polinger

Hello,

if the direct SQL query on the database gets no result, then your ePO report gets no result either. I am on ePO 4.0 Patch 6, are you? This makes a difference if you try to query nonexistent database fields or values (introduced by ePO patch 6 (fields) or VSE patches (values)).

Attila

• 9. Re: Reports stopped working since upgrade to 8.7

Yep, we are on 4.0 with patch 6 too.

1 2 Previous Next