1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 5:57 AM by sgrimmel

On-Access Scanner and Large Folders

jase4867

Running Windows 7, VSE 8.7 patch 3

When opening large folders (20GB+), the On-Access Scanner kicks in, and basically renders the computer useless for about 30 seconds, while it scans the folder. Is there a way to tweak the settings, so this doesn't happen?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders
          andyross

How many files are in the folder? I've found that Windows itself, when opening a folder with thousands of files, can often take a large amount of time while it reads all the directory data. It depends on the speed of the computer, the drive, and how many files.

• 2. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders
            jase4867

Varying numbers. One folder I tried was 26GB, and consisted of a few hundred files. Another was around 40GB. The first time you open the folder, the scanner kicks in, scanning all the files, then you can close the folder, and go back, and access is faster. If you restart the computer, and open the folder again, the scanning process starts all over. I've disabled the Windows desktop search service, just to see if that would make a difference, and haven't noticed anything yet. I keep Task Manager open when opening these folders, and like I said, on the initial access, the McShield.exe process pegs the CPU for about 30 seconds.

• 3. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders

I have noticed this too.  It usually seems to occur if there are large compressed files in the folder (ZIPs, CABs, installation or other self-extracting EXEs, etc.) and you have VS set to scan compressed files.  I think it is because Explorer is opening the files to read the additional icons or something, which causes VS to scan the files.  I have a third-party file explorer that I use that does not exhibit the same behavior - even if the folder has many large compressed files, they are listed very quickly.  I think the only option that would really speed things up would be to disable scanning compressed files or disable scanning on reads.  Of course, you have to decide if you can live with the higher risk with these options turned off.

Jay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders
                jase4867

That may be the key. I just checked my settings again, and the scanner was set to scan inside archive files. If I have a ZIP file, and extract those files, wouldn't the scanner pick those up anyway? That being the case, I would think that it wouldn't be a necessity to scan inside the archive each time, if those files are going to be checked anyway upon extraction. Something I can play with.

Thanks for the help! This at least gives me more options to look at.

• 5. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders
                  jase4867

One other question - if I just open a folder, will the On-Access scanner still scan all the files, even though I haven't tried to open any of them?

• 6. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders

jase4867 wrote:

One other question - if I just open a folder, will the On-Access scanner still scan all the files, even though I haven't tried to open any of them?

Basic answer is no. More complex answer is that it will scan some files.

The OAS doesn't scan files when a folder is opened. However, Explorer checks certain files for icons and other data, and McAfee detects the read - so will scan the files for viruses.

• 7. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders

jase4867 wrote:

That may be the key. I just checked my settings again, and the scanner was set to scan inside archive files. If I have a ZIP file, and extract those files, wouldn't the scanner pick those up anyway? That being the case, I would think that it wouldn't be a necessity to scan inside the archive each time, if those files are going to be checked anyway upon extraction. Something I can play with.

Thanks for the help! This at least gives me more options to look at.

You're correct that upon extraction of files, McAfee will detect threats when they are launched (or saved to disk when extracted). OAS shouldn't be used for scanning inside archives, except in very high security situations. ODS scans is normally the appropriate place for this type of detection.

• 8. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders
                        jase4867

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the replies everyone!

• 9. Re: On-Access Scanner and Large Folders

Also see KnowledgeBase article KB57995

Regards

1 2 Previous Next