5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 7:33 AM by Attila Polinger

Is anyone deploying an agent to the epo server itself?

epo 4.5,  The mcafee agent on the epo server won't communicate to itself. "Failed to upload package to epo server" 

This worked fine in 4.0.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Is anyone deploying an agent to the epo server itself?

I have an McAfee agent agent on my server that hosts  EPO 4.5.   It is updating just fine.  Nothing special involved.

• 2. Re: Is anyone deploying an agent to the epo server itself?

Just got off the phone with mcafee tech support.  I was told this is a known bug in the software. If any registered ldap servers are in a failed state that the epo server will not communicate with it's clients. Not sure how ldap and agent communication correlate to each other but if so  this is a HUGE problem.

• 3. Re: Is anyone deploying an agent to the epo server itself?
              Attila Polinger

Hello,

I'm not running - yet - ePO 4.5 - but this reasoning regarding ldap and MA -EPO communication relation seems very odd to me. When you install the ePO server the process installs the agent, too (no deployment needed).

I would start investigating the agent debug log on the ePO server if I were you, to this end KB58966 provides useful technical info and draw the consequences according what I found.

Attila

• 4. Re: Is anyone deploying an agent to the epo server itself?

"When you install the ePO server the process installs the agent, too (no deployment needed)."

no, this does not happen. Where did you read this?

"I would start investigating the agent debug log on the ePO server"

Mcafee has admitted this is a bug in the software and logs have been sent to them. Nothing I can do until they provide a fix.

• 5. Re: Is anyone deploying an agent to the epo server itself?
                  Attila Polinger

Hello,

The ePO 4.5 installation manual states on p. 6:

Security Software - Caution:

If running VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i or 8.7i on the system where you are installing

ePolicy Orchestrator, you must ensure that the VSE Access Protection rules are disabled

during the installation process, or the installation fails.

Well I cannot of course prove this now to you, but with earlier ePO version, the "installation fails" statement meant that it could not run the framepkg installer successfully, because local VSE AP blocked it or one of the actions that it took, when a particular rule was enabled. I have also experimented that and reported to McAfee back then (years before).

If you take a look at ePO 4.0 original readme: it is stated that the ePO agent is installed on the ePO server at both clean or upgrade install. Only thing, that the ePO 4 agent was not yet available when they released epo 4 server software, so readme refers to agent 3.6.0 Patch 2.

The similar readme for ePO 4.5 does ot explicitly states the same, but we might as well assume it does the same. Okay, we cannot be sure after all.

/To me it would be non-sensical not to attempt upgrading or installing its own agent onto the server during ePO intallation/

Attila