5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 9:47 AM by lordnune

MFP disables by itself after 30 min and freezes my screen

Roz

Just started using this but have been experiencing difficulties.  When i log on and enable MFP it disconnects after a period of time of inactive usage of computer.  The house icon turns to red and you can't use the internet at all (blocks all websites).  This is a bit of a pain because if someone was using the computer and it disconnects ...that person would not be able to surf the net.....and i'd have to be there to enable it...since it requires a password.  Can anyone help me out with this.  Thanks a lot, Roz

• 1. Re: MFP disables by itself after 30 min and freezes my screen
          k3tg

Could you please let us know what type of operating system you have? Vista, XP. Windows 7

Did you previously have any security software installed prior to McAfee, and if so did you run their removal tools?

How much ram available?

Do you get any pop ups?

What is your service pack?

You could also contact Technical Support Chat found under Useful Links at the top of this page and are available 24 hours a day. They can remotely connect in to your computer provided you give them permission and can run some tools we don't have here on the forums to diagnose and correct your issue.

You might also want to run the McAfee Virtual Technician which is a tool that will scan your computer for McAfee issues and attempts to fix any McAfee problems it finds. It also generates a report number which I suggest you post here for reference for the forum moderator to review.

Good Luck

• 2. Re: MFP disables by itself after 30 min and freezes my screen
            Roz

I bought the Family Protection 2009

I am using Windows XP and imsure i have enough ram and space to provide this service

and i have never installed any security software or parental control software before...

and ive been getting disconnected everytime i log in after 15-30 min...

I've tried talking to one of the Mcafee technical assistance and they told me i should go to forget password ...so that i could change my current password.....and they said that would resolve all the problems....but there was no explaination to why it disconnects by itself...

Message was edited by: Roz on 5/5/10 10:56:55 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: MFP disables by itself after 30 min and freezes my screen
              k3tg

Besides the fact you did not get an explanation for the disconnection, is the problem resolved based on the recommendation they gave you?

• 5. Re: MFP disables by itself after 30 min and freezes my screen

You just need to create several Family Protection accounts for each of the users in your household. That way, each user can have their own Family Protection account to log in to, with any settings you want applied to them, and they can know their own login password, without getting access to your admin account.