6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 3:16 AM by JoeBidgood

Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)

Hi Guys

I am new to Mcafee. we are using EPO 4.5. I would like to knwo about Mcafee superagent. can anybody please let me know how it works, how to create a superagent & how to list  or identifiy super agernt in epolocy 4.5. If there is any other information about Superagent thes pleat let me know.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)
          JThomas
          The SuperAgent is an agent with the ability to contact all agents in the same subnet as the SuperAgent, using the SuperAgent wakeup call. Its use is triggered by Global Updating being enabled on the ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) server, and it provides a bandwidth efficient method of sending agent wakeup calls.
          Understanding the SuperAgent -KB59326
          • 2. Re: Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)

Hi Thomas ,

Is this possible we can get the installtion procedure for superagent .

Regards

Udayakiran.MN

• 3. Re: Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)
              rackroyd

A superagent is defined by a tickbox in the McAfee Agent policy, there is no separate installation process for it.

Rgds,

Rob.

• 4. Re: Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)
                rackroyd

Also, from the ePO 4.5 Product guide.

Remember that a SuperAgent and SuperAgent Repository are not the same thing.

SuperAgents and broadcast wake-up calls

If you operate in a Windows environment and plan to use agent wake-up calls to initiate

agent-server communication, consider converting an agent on each network broadcast segment

into a SuperAgent.

SuperAgents distribute the bandwidth load of concurrent wake-up calls. Instead of sending

agent wake-up calls from the server to every agent, the server sends the SuperAgent wake-up

call to SuperAgents in the selected System Tree segment. When SuperAgents receive this

wake-up call, they send broadcast wake-up calls to all agents in their network broadcast

segments.

The process is:

Server sends a wake-up call to all SuperAgents.

SuperAgents broadcast a wake-up call to all agents in the same broadcast segment.

All agents (regular agents and SuperAgents) exchange data with the server.

An agent without an operating SuperAgent on its broadcast segment is not prompted to

communicate with the server.

To deploy enough SuperAgents to the appropriate locations, first determine the broadcast

segments in your environment and select a system (preferably a server) in each segment to

host a SuperAgent. Be aware that agents in broadcast segments without SuperAgents do not

receive the broadcast wake-up call, so they do not call in to the server in response to a wake-up

call.

Agent and SuperAgent wake-up calls use the same secure channels. Ensure that:

• The agent wake-up communication port (8081 by default) is not blocked.

• The agent broadcast communication port (8082 by default) is not blocked.

NOTE:

Client firewalls might block communication from the ePO server. Ensure that the ports

required for communication from the ePO server are not block by a firewall on the client.

Types of distributed repositories

ePolicy Orchestrator supports four types of distributed repositories. Consider your environment

and needs when determining which type of distributed repository to use. You are not limited

to using one type, and might need several, depending on your network.

SuperAgent repositories

Use systems hosting SuperAgents as distributed repositories. SuperAgent repositories have

several advantages over other types of distributed repositories:

• Folder locations are created automatically on the host system before adding the repository

to the repository list.

• File sharing is enabled automatically on the SuperAgent repository folder.

• SuperAgent repositories don’t require additional replication or updating credentials — account

permissions are created when the agent is converted to a SuperAgent.

TIP:

Although functionality of SuperAgent broadcast wake-up calls requires a SuperAgent

in each broadcast segment, this is not a requirement for functionality of the SuperAgent

repository. Managed systems only need to “see” the system hosting the repository.

• 5. Re: Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)

All this information is helpful i'm sure, but, I think the essential question hasn't been answered. I have a Super Agent Policy created. I need to add some systems to that policy. How exactly is that accomplished?

• 6. Re: Mcafee SuperAgent (EPO 4.5)
                    JoeBidgood

Simply assign the policy to the machines that you wish to be superagents, the same as you would any other policy...  am I missing something here?

Regards -

Joe