9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2010 8:33 AM by mikepackman

How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did search and couldn't find anything relevant.

I have inherited a fairly new install of ePO 4.5, however the version of VSE 8.7 that is checked in is showing it's license as 'evaluation'.

Can I simply check in the correct VSE package (with Patch 3) and re-deploy (possibly removing VSE from the machines affected), or do I have to use installation designer (as per google searches)..

The evaluation licenses don't expire until June 26th, so not a major rush, but are we going to start deploying this throughout the group and I would rather get this fixed now before that starts (to save a major headache later on).

The ePO is fully licensed and I have valid Grant number, so just need confirmation whether the new package will remedy the issue.

Many thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version
          jmcleish

Hi Mike

Where are you seeing the "evaluation"? Is it in the master repository under branch-? If so this is just the branch you can select to deploy your packages from. i.e to test new packages you can get machines to install software from different branches.

I've never seen this before- not unless someone has checked in a trial version possibly.

The evaluation licenses don't expire until June 26th,

Where do you see this?

Cheers

Jane

• 2. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version

Hi Jane,

Everything in ePO looks fine, it's when the client is installed on the desktops that we see the evaluation. Which is why I thought it was probably an evaluation version that was checked in. By going to Help

I have the correct package ready to check-in, but I am unsure if this will remove the evaluation problem...

Also, antispyware is showing as licensed..

I can check in the new one to the evaluation branch and test on my own machine i guess..

(we're about to go back to McAfee across our organisation, after several years of Endpoint, I used to run the ePO 3.6 before we went to Symantec)

• 3. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version

I guess I won't, it blanks out all branches except current when trying to check in.. 

I think it might be as the minor versions of both packages are 570, so it's showing as the same version...

(although I thought the one I downloaded from the mcafee site today had Patch 3 included.. hmmmm)

• 4. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version
                jmcleish

Out of curiosity...

if you go to menu - configuration - server settings and then choose repository packages, does Allow package check-in for any repository branch: say Yes?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version

Thank you

I'll now checkin the package and give it a test..

(thanks for your patience, I've only been using epo again for the last few days, previous version was 3.6 2 years ago, still trying to remember everything, I was amazed I remembered how to to deploy HIP etc. )

• 6. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version
                    jmcleish

That's great!

4.5 is a bit of a learning curve from 3.6, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

good luck.

Jane

• 7. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version

Just deployed to a virgin PC, using new deployment task (with new checked in version downloaded directly from mcafee's download site under my grant number, as in not from the evaluation section)... (had disabled the previous deployment task for vse), had the agent monitor open, it was using the new deployment package...

Still saying evaluation as license type

• 8. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version
                        jmcleish

Found this from the VSE install guide:

Product license and performing an upgrade

If you are installing a licensed version over an evaluation version of VirusScan Enterprise, you
                        must upgrade the license. The license is not automatically upgraded from an evaluation version.
                        CAUTION: Perform the license upgrade before the evaluation period expires. Otherwise, the
                        scanning function for the on-demand and on-delivery email scanners and the updating function
                        stop until you replace the evaluation version with a licensed version of the product.

Use one of these methods to upgrade an evaluation version of VirusScan Enterprise to a licensed
                        version:
                        • Use McAfee Installation Designer 8.7 (recommended). Refer to the McAfee Installation
                        Designer 8.7 product guide for details.

• Remove the evaluation version of the product and install the licensed version.

NOTE: Removing the evaluation version causes you to lose all of the configured settings
                        from that installation. Use this method only if you cannot use McAfee Installation Designer
                        8.7 to upgrade the license.

So you may need to use installation designer to create a new package and check this into ePO to deploy.

Jane

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How to upgrade deployed VSE 8.7 eval with licensed version

For info, haven't resolved, but we've worked around it (by removing all the previous checked-in packages, installed new one from site (that I know is correct), remove VSE 8.7 from machines, policy kicks in installs latest version...

(this was complicated by a deployment task that had been set previous by someone to re-occurr every 30 minutes, which corrupted the task, so the old eval version was thrown at un-protected PCs before the new package could be put on)..

But all new users are now getting the correct packages.

Thanks for your help Jane.....