1 2 3 4 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 8:06 AM by MoxieMomma

McAfee Security Center (Dell)

Unclepotter

Hi all,

When I purchased my Dell pc in April 2007 it came with 3 years McAfee installed(free upgrade).I then paid online via McAfee for another 1 year extension back in February 2010.I am now protected till April 2011.

My question is why have I not been upgraded/updated to the new 2010 interface.I am fully protected,but nothing has changed apart from me being protected for another year.

• 1. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
          Peter M

You will be eventually.  It is an ongoing process and in fact has been throttled back a bit because of some issues.  It'll happen soon enough, don't worry.

People who get McAfee via their ISP's or their PC maker, such as Dell often get the upgrades later in any case, because those 3rd parties often personalize the interface.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
            Unclepotter

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply

I find it strange that we are already into May 2010 and yet the 2010 interface has not yet updated over the previous one.

I live in the UK,so are you telling me its up to Dell to update my McAfee or does it come direct from McAfee

Message was edited by: Unclepotter on 04/05/10 04:21:24 CDT
            • 3. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
              Peter M

If your protection is provided by Dell then it is them that is providing it.  They already got it from McAfee.

They test it and personalize it and, in some case, take quite a long time doing that.   Comcast users in the States didn't used to get theirs until at least August for example.

Dell is usually pretty quick though.  It's only just going out to regular customers now anyway.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/05/10 6:06:58 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
                Unclepotter

Hi, Dell did provide me with the first 3  years,but I contacted McAfee online who offered me a good deal for another year,so is it still Dell who is providing me with McAfee or McAfee direct?

Message was edited by: Unclepotter on 04/05/10 05:11:30 CDT
                • 5. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
                  Peter M

In that case It's McAfee now then so it should happen very soon.

Did yoiu uninstall the Dell version before indstalling from McAfee?

• 6. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
                    Unclepotter

No,all McAfee to me to do once I had paid was right click on the McAfee icon to verify subscription and then click on update.That was in Feb 2010.

• 7. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
                      Peter M

OK this is purely voluntary so you don't have to do it, but it might get you the new interface fast.

Enable Windows Firewall in Control Panel/Security to provide temporary protection during the following process.

(Note:  If you have Windows 7 don't bother with that last step, McAfee will turn it on as it leaves).

Uninstall all McAfee using Control Panel/Add or Remove programs (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista/Windows 7)

Run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links at top of this page and reboot.

If it says that is wasn't successful run it again and reboot.

Reinstall your products from the website account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/05/10 6:35:47 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
                        Unclepotter

Thank you for your advice,tbh I'm not sure I want to go down that route as I am a computer novice.Is it possible I could contact McAfee direct to enquire about this?My friend had 2009 installed,he then purchased the 2010 version from an online retailer.All he did was put the cd in to the drive and McAfee then unistalled the old version and installed the 2010 version which he says is working fine.

• 9. Re: McAfee Security Center (Dell)
                          Peter M

You could contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links above but I think they will tell you the same as I just did.

It's up to you, it will eventually upgrade.  As I said it is still ongoing.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next