2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 7:51 AM by easy1ndian

Symantec's response is pretty lame

ghuff5

Symantec's response (below) is just a  little overboard, late, and unbelievable.

McAfee supplied several workarounds to this  problem so far...

1.  A superDAT.exe that fixes the problem,  (executable file that runs a script to restore the deleted file and place the  extra.dat file in the McAfee folder to prevent further problem.

2.  Downloadable Bootable CD iso image that  will boot a computer and fix the problem  (like a bootable WinPE disk I  think)

3.  Instructions to do this from a PXE  server to boot a computer and run a script to restore the  file

4.  instructions to copy the missing file from a working  computer.

5.  And some other options like restoring the file from quaranteen,  or the dllcache folder, etc  all documented well enough.

I don't see how Altiris Deploy server could do much of this  since (we experienced) the deleted svchost.exe file kills the network  connections

Anyway, That would be a nightmare to try and setup an Altiris  server to remediate this problem.  Sure won't go there again.

And won't go with nearly anything Symantec, their software has failed to work for me too many times.

FYI.. here's the Symantec KB article with steps https://kb.altiris.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=52533

I  understand what it would take to do this, and McAfee's steps  are much easier.
      I tried setting up the Symantec deploy server, and none of it ever worked right, requires lots of tech support from them

Email I got today...

Subject: Tech Alert: Remediate McAfee Virus Definition Defect

From: Symantec Corporation [symantec_communications-NAM@symantecenterprise.rsys3.com]

Symantec - Confidence in a connected world.
      Get the Altiris Deployment Solution Free for  90-Days
      V-1_confidence.jpg

Deployment  Solution Helps McAfee® Customers Remediate Problems

Symantec  Offers Altiris™ Deployment Solution Free
      for 90-Days

McAfee recently released  a virus signature that incorrectly identified a core Windows® XP operating  system file as a threat, which led to organizations experiencing significant  downtime and incurring sizeable costs.

Symantec would like to  help your company quickly repair PCs rendered inoperable by the McAfee update  with a free 90-day evaluation copy of Deployment Solution. With Deployment  Solution, administrators can immediately repair affected desktops and notebooks  from a centralized location, significantly reducing the time required to get the  affected systems back into operation.

Even if you are not an  Altiris customer, you can install Deployment Solution to address the McAfee  problem.

To receive a 90-day free  evaluation copy of Altiris Deployment Solution and to learn more about how  Symantec can help, click  here.

For more information on  the McAfee virus and how to quickly remediate the problem, click here.

Request a call from Symantec sales
      Get the Altiris Deployment Solution Free for  90-Days
      © 2010 Symantec Corporation

• 1. Re: Symantec's response is pretty lame

I could understand, maybe, if they had done some sort of ready-to-run pre-packaged recovery environment that you could download as a fully installed VM image, spin up on the network and boot broken machines into to repair them in minutes. To just send out a link to an eval copy of their deployment software is cheap marketing and in worst case disruptive in case someone thinks it's going to be a quick way to fix their broken PCs.

• 2. Re: Symantec's response is pretty lame

Though McAfee is annoying me nowadays; they are nothing compared to Symantec. Symantec buys leading products, make it expensive, introduce licensing policies that will put Oracle and Microsoft to shame. Symantec sells on marketing; I'm yet to see a satisfied Enterprise customer of Symantec, me included.

Hope they remember 2006.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-10921_7-6623474.html