8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 10:34 AM by fconde

Difference between MVT tasks

schroec

Both the MVT Diagnostic task and MVT Remediation task are described as being able to remediate supported products. If the MVT Diagnostic task is run with the option for both Healthcheck and Remediation checked off, does the MVT Remediation task need to also run? Is there something different about the types of remediation the two tasks do?

• 1. Re: Difference between MVT tasks

The MVT Diagnostic task with the option for both Healthcheck and Remediation checked off will only provide just a diagnostic.  In such case, the Remediation task would need to be executed to correct issues.

The Remediation task allows ePO admin to select issues to be resolved in the required product or component.  It is more granular than the Diagnostic task.

• 2. Re: Difference between MVT tasks
            schroec

Francois - The MVT Walkthrough Guide, in regards to the MVT Diagnostic Task, says "Healthcheck and Remediation - Select this option to diagnose and resolve issues in the detected or selected product...". Is this incorrect in saying that it resolves issues?

• 3. Re: Difference between MVT tasks

No that's correct.  Chaecking "Healthcheck and Remediation" will resolve detected issues

• 4. Re: Difference between MVT tasks
                schroec

So, from our discussion, I conclude that I don't need to run the MVT Remediation task unless I want to select only certain components to scan. Am I correct?

• 5. Re: Difference between MVT tasks

Correct, you have full flexibility.  Let's say you want to detect possible issues with VSE but only want to fix registry related issues.  First, you would run the Diagnostic task in health check mode only then the Remediation selecting the registry (or drill on it).

Diagnostic task in Health check + Remediation mode = Diagnostic task in Health check mode + Remediation task selecting to fix all

• 6. Re: Difference between MVT tasks
                    schroec

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Difference between MVT tasks

This true only sometimes.   I have many machines where it identifies issues but does not resolve them.  Most common is that MVT complains that the most recent patch is not applied for product x.  But the most recent patch is available in the repository.  A task run daily to push down the patch.  But the client never takes the patch.   I have seen complaints about files missing and missing reg keys but they are not resolved.   The EPO MVT is still a work in progress.

• 8. Re: Difference between MVT tasks

HerbSmith,

Thank you for using ePO-MVT and your feedback.

There are certain issues that MVT cannot fix, primarily missing/corrupted files.  We are working on this and aiming at adding this feature in the next release.

In regards to the patch issue, knowing what product and patch you are refereing too would definitely help us in pinpointing the problem.  Also, you mentioned that the client isn't getting the patch however, MVT doesn't install patches only reports their absence.  You would then need to troubleshoot why the patch is actually not getting installed on those clients.

Let us know and thank you again.