1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 2:17 PM by RickIA

Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate

sat1522

Hi,

I just wonder which policy in ePO do I modify to Enable {scheduletd task runs at specified time} from the Task tab of AutoUpdate.Please see attached

Thanks,

epo.JPG

Message was edited by: April Jacobs to include IMAGE in post as opposed to attached as a word document  on 4/28/10 3:07:38 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate

I've moved your post to our ePO area.

Also, I included your image in your post instead of in a word attachment.

Hopefully someone can answer your question soon.

• 2. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
            sat1522

Thanks April

• 3. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
              JoeBidgood

Hi there....

You don't actually change the policy in ePO to do this. Instead, you create a new client task, which has its own schedule settings - you enable or disable it there rather than in the policy.

See the "Working with client tasks" section of te ePO product guide for more information

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
                sat1522

Hi Joe,

Yes, I do have task configured to update the DAT to the systems on a the daily basis and that is working fine.  The issue is that I disable the AutoUpdate last week after the April 21 incident to avoid the systems go out on the internet to get the DAT update.  I disable it via ePO policy under User Interface, but now I want to re-enable it.  I could only see the way to enable it from the McAfee Console which would mean I have to do it manually on all the laptops or through registry push.  I think if ePO can disable it it should to set it back on and set the schedule as well.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
                  JoeBidgood

Ah, I see your point

I've just done a quick test and it looks like this can't be done - the disable appears to be a one-shot process. I'm not entirely sure why

The solution I think would be to simply create another task that runs at the same time as the default (every day at 5pm, as I recall.)

Regards -

Joe

• 6. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
                    sat1522

Hi Joe,

Creating another task to run at 5:00 PM (default) is not going to solve my issue for the laptop roaming users.  Let's hope McAfee will include this option in the next ePO patch.

Thanks anyway.

• 7. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
                      JoeBidgood

Hi...

Creating a new task should have exactly the same effect - am I missing something?

Regards -

Joe

• 8. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
                        sat1522

Hi,

A task initiated from the ePO server would only run if the PC is connected on the network.  How about the systems that are not in the office or on the road?  I still want them to be able to get their DAT updates; otherwise they can't connect to the VPN connection without up-to-date DAT.  I hope this makes sense.

• 9. Re: Schedule Setting - AutoUpdate
                          JoeBidgood

Ah, OK, I think I see...

A client task like this is not initiated from the server, however - it's local to the client machine and runs autonomously. So in that sense it's an exact copy of the local task.

Where the problem lies is that the machines will have to talk to the server in order to get the new task: but then, they'd have to do that in order to pick up the change to the "disable local autoupdate task" policy anyway. But once they've got the task they'll run it and be able to udpate whether they're on the LAN or not (assuming that the repository list allows them to update from the McAfee site.)

Regards -

Joe

1 2 3 Previous Next