7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 7:28 AM by Peter M

How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?

How do you remove McaFee's Backup & Restore program from XP Home edition? It is not in the Add & Remove program files, and clicking on the taskbar icon does not show a remove tool. Any help appreciated.

Message was edited by: JMK on 4/26/10 1:17:10 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?
          Peter M

In Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs do you have McAfee SecurityCenter listed?

If so select that and uninstall whatever components you wish.

If not run the MCPR removal tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page which will remove all McAfee components from your machine..

Backup & restore is no longer a supported programme therefore it should be removed.

• 2. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?

It is the on-line Back-up and Restore I want to remove from my computer. It hogs too much memory and slows my machine. Nor do I want an online service. I like and want the computer local backup program McAfee once provided prior to this online anomaly forced on some of us. Will have to find one elsewhere or use windows backup and restore.

I've temporarily blocked the online version loading, but it seems even that has not restored my computer to the speed prior to the McAfee definitions download that attacked my computer. Continues to take 5 - 7 minutes for the computer to load the McAfee programs.

• 3. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?
              Peter M

If Mozy Home or McAfee Online Backup isn't listed in Control Panel/Programs then click the McAfee SecurityCenter itme there and then selectively only uninstall that item.

• 4. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?

The Mozy Home or McAfee Online Backup is not listed in XP Control Panel/Programs, nor is the shredder, both installed by the tech when repairing my computer last week. There seem no uninstal functions for either of these programs in the Security Center.

• 5. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?
                  Peter M

Did you click McAfee SecurityCenter in the program uninstall list and then see if it's listed as an item for removal in the ensuing menu?

Shredder is just a utility so it would normally be listed as an application.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/10 8:53:08 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?

There is no McAfee SecurityCenter in the program uninstall list, No unintalls found in the in the security center and not in the control panel's add/remove programs. All that's listed in the Add/Remove is 'McAfee Total Protection.' When clicking on that is then listed McAfee Total Protection and SiteAdvisor check boxes, nothing else.  Why has this McAfee software become so complicated? McAfee's teck installed the online Backup/Restore and shedder programs and now we can't get rid of them. We have been over a week attempting to restore this computer to previous speed. We are ready to remove McAfee and remove our recomendation for it's use to over 800 school districts. Not a threat, simply tired of the time consumed in attempts to restore this computer without a full flush of the drives.

Message was edited by: JMK on 5/1/10 10:10:52 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: How is McAfee Backup and Restore removed from XP Home Edition?
                      Peter M

If you click McAfee Total Protection as the uninstall item a menu should come up with all the individual components listed for removel.   However, if it is just a matter of wanting to get rid of Backup & Restore, is this an y help?

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100978&lang=en_US

Otherwise the only alternative is to uninstall everything, run the MCPR tool listed under Useful Links (above) and afterf a reboot, reinstall what you want.